Death Valley National Park Proposes Campgrond Fee Changes

Environmental topics about Death Valley
ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Death Valley National Park Proposes Campgrond Fee Changes

Post by ETAV8R » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Death Valley National Park Proposes Fee Changes at Furnace Creek Campground

Just wanted to get this out there. Apparently the NPS is proposing a fee change at Furnace Creek Campground. This has to do with new hookups for motorhomes. I don't support this move and at this time not sure where it was spawned.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parknews/furnac ... change.htm

Send them your thoughts:
http://www.nps.gov/common/utilities/sen ... change.htm

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 pm

I'd assume this is being driven by an effort to make the park more attractive to the RV/motorhome crowd. While I'm not a big fan of the noise that comes with RVs, I honestly can't say that I care either way about this change. Neither Sunset nor Furnace Creek campground were even remotely appealing to me. They were always way too noisy & crowded for my taste.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm

The park gets a LOT of pressure from the 49'ers group to improve the facilities for the large RV users. There are only 19 spots that have been improved and I think the fee is fair.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 am

The fee may be fair but the noise associated with motorhomes should be kept at Sunset Campground. People go to Furnace Creek Campground to tent/car camp which hardly comes with the noise such as generators as found in motorhomes.

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 am

ETAV8R wrote:The fee may be fair but the noise associated with motorhomes should be kept at Sunset Campground. People go to Furnace Creek Campground to tent/car camp which hardly comes with the noise such as generators as found in motorhomes.
Its not just the generators (although they can be horrible too). In my experience, people with RV's tend to be noisier in general, because they have a mentality that anyone who doesn't want to hear their loud conversations, music & TV speakers, or any other sounds can simply retreat into their RV. Sure this isn't every RV, but all it takes is 1 to ruin the experience for everyone.

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:58 am

netllama wrote:
ETAV8R wrote:The fee may be fair but the noise associated with motorhomes should be kept at Sunset Campground. People go to Furnace Creek Campground to tent/car camp which hardly comes with the noise such as generators as found in motorhomes.
Its not just the generators (although they can be horrible too). In my experience, people with RV's tend to be noisier in general, because they have a mentality that anyone who doesn't want to hear their loud conversations, music & TV speakers, or any other sounds can simply retreat into their RV. Sure this isn't every RV, but all it takes is 1 to ruin the experience for everyone.
This is an interesting thread, since we travel in an RV. We like quiet campgrounds as well, so we try to be very conscientious about noise. We have a decent set of solar panels and batteries that allow us to dry camp without needing the generator. But we have been in several campgrounds where a tent camper is sharing his boombox music with everyone nearby. So in my view, it is about the manners of the camper and not what they travel with.

Art

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 am

Older Fossil wrote:
netllama wrote:
This is an interesting thread, since we travel in an RV. We like quiet campgrounds as well, so we try to be very conscientious about noise. We have a decent set of solar panels and batteries that allow us to dry camp without needing the generator. But we have been in several campgrounds where a tent camper is sharing his boombox music with everyone nearby. So in my view, it is about the manners of the camper and not what they travel with.
Art

That's a valid point. I still remember when I was camping in Lassen National Park many years ago, and a large group in tents was partying around their camp fire until nearly 3AM. However, in my experience, the bulk of the noise tends to come from RVs.

Alkali Bill
Jayhawker

Post by Alkali Bill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 am

The last time I camped in a public campground:

Years ago, my wife and I set camp at Bucks Lake on a Friday morning. It was peaceful, quiet and beautiful. About noon, the yahoos showed up, pulled into the campsite next to ours, pulled out a colossal boombox turned up to 11 playing what passes for country music, then fired up a chainsaw and sawed down a live tree. Figuring that someone was going to get shot pretty soon, and it wasn't going to be me, we packed up and left.
Cheers,
Alkali Bill

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 am

Sounds like you made a wise decision. They were probably wondering what was up with you, some type of troublemaker! :shock: