Juvenile desert tortoise (pics)

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Juvenile desert tortoise (pics)

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I wasn't sure where to post these, but I thought this little tortoise was such a cutie, I wanted to share the pics! I spotted him/her while hiking back from the Epsom Salt Works on March 18. With any luck, being way out there it won't be disturbed by too many other humans!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for sharing that nice picture, Candace. Great job finding a tortoise out there. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the military has a sign out there alerting others to the fact that there are tortoises in the area which are being protected.

You also proved true the words I wrote in my Epsom Salt report: "And if you'd like to know an inside tip, this area is probably the best place in the park to find a desert tortoise."

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:51 pm

SteveH wrote:...You also proved true the words I wrote in my Epsom Salt report: "And if you'd like to know an inside tip, this area is probably the best place in the park to find a desert tortoise."
:lol: I don't think I ever read that, but indeed this would seem to support your statement! I saw a full-sized one before, but that was 10 years ago or more, and out north of Hinkley.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 am

Very cool!

Only one I've ever seen was an adult in Joshua Tree. But usually I'm there at the wrong time of year.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:27 pm

I think this is the sign Steve was talking about:

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 am

Recently, I was out near the lower end of Greenwater Canyon, and came across another young'in, this one a little smaller than the one I saw in 2014! Glad I didn't step on the poor little thing, which was no doubt hoping I would soon go away...

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. They are indeed cute and hopefully they will survive.

SSSdave
Jayhawker

Post by SSSdave » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 am

What an outstanding environment situation for a tortoise image! Quite like that many of what look like water worn rocks are of similar size to your friend and that many of those rocks have interesting color and shapes. Thus an example of natural camouflage. These vulnerable slow moving creatures are also not likely to move so are also quite ideal for portraits. With all the green vegetation about this late winter, they must be active and eating well.

Recently visited the park 2/12>16 and on my return trip later this month that will be a full week, I was hoping to spend a day or so about the Greenwater Valley, rambling across obscure landscapes with my camera gear so maybe I will get lucky and see my one of those Mojave citizens too.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Nice find! So it sounds like you've seen at least two in DV. I saw one last March in the Gold Butte area, and that was only my second. They are so much fun to find (and you get to look at them closely as they can't run away like the kit foxes :)

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 am

My wife and I have been on the lookout for these critters all winter and have yet to see one. I know they are rare and we will keep looking, thanks for sharing those pictures.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:27 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Nice find! So it sounds like you've seen at least two in DV. I saw one last March in the Gold Butte area, and that was only my second. They are so much fun to find (and you get to look at them closely as they can't run away like the kit foxes :)
With all my time on the desert, I've seen a grand total of four! But I bet I've walked past a few without noticing them! :lol:

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Now if only you could post a photo of a DV hare

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:57 pm

along with one of your tortoises. Thanks for starting this thread. I enjoy the discovery and adventure that I may never ever enjoy in my favorite national park.
Life begins in Death Valley