Good Idea or Harebrained Scheme?

Environmental topics about Death Valley
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Good Idea or Harebrained Scheme?

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Two years ago, on my way out to DV, I loaded up on Chinese food for lunch in Ohio, then in Pahrump for dinner. My theory was all that salt would cause me to retain water and allow me to carry one or two less bottles on my (long) hike the next day in which the excess salt would sweat away, diminishing the amount of water needed in my system.

Any thoughts?

DVWanderer
Jayhawker

Post by DVWanderer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 am

I think the space wasted on the extra toilet paper that would be needed after a Chinese food stuffin would defeat the purpose of the luxury of carrying less water.

But no, one should probably devise easier methods of carrying MORE water, if anything. Interesting theory though!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 am

DVWanderer wrote:I think the space wasted on the extra toilet paper that would be needed after a Chinese food stuffin would defeat the purpose of the luxury of carrying less water.

But no, one should probably devise easier methods of carrying MORE water, if anything. Interesting theory though!
Sounds like 1 vote for harebrained scheme :) It's not a question of how much water I *can* carry...I can carry up to 3 gallons with all my other stuff--I just don't want to....

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:40 am

I don't have a background in nutrition – so this is strictly an uneducated opinion (exactly what the Internet was made for!) – but this sounds like a harebrained scheme.

If I'm doing a full hike in extreme weather I want my body to feel as good as possible. Eating what I would assume is really, really bad Chinese food two nights in a row prior to the trip is not what I would consider doing your body any favors.

I prefer to eat lean & healthy food leading up to such excursions. When facing hot weather I always pound as much water as I can the night and the morning before hitting the trail.

That said, carrying loads of water is the worst and it's a big reason why I'm looking forward to spending time in the Sierras & the Rubys this summer.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:39 am

TacoLand wrote:I don't have a background in nutrition – so this is strictly an uneducated opinion (exactly what the Internet was made for!) – but this sounds like a harebrained scheme.

If I'm doing a full hike in extreme weather I want my body to feel as good as possible. Eating what I would assume is really, really bad Chinese food two nights in a row prior to the trip is not what I would consider doing your body any favors.

I prefer to eat lean & healthy food leading up to such excursions. When facing hot weather I always pound as much water as I can the night and the morning before hitting the trail.

That said, carrying loads of water is the worst and it's a big reason why I'm looking forward to spending time in the Sierras & the Rubys this summer.
2 votes for harebrained scheme :) "Pounding water the night before" reminds me of one of my several rookie mistakes on my first desert trip: after one full day of hiking, I only drank enough water to not feel thirsty--consequently, I went through my water too fast the next day. So, now, I pound water at every water source.

For the things I like to do, there is no way around carrying loads of water.

DVWanderer
Jayhawker

Post by DVWanderer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 pm

And don't forget electrolytes either. Pounding water ONLY has a tendency to flush the good stuffs out of you as well so some Gatorade here & there isn't a bad thing.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 am

Right--gatorade mix for that and Amazing Grass powder for vitamins.

Kukulcan
Jayhawker

Post by Kukulcan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Carry more water