The actual Furnace Creek

Environmental topics about Death Valley
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

The actual Furnace Creek

Post by wbdeford » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 am

What is the location of the actual creek at Furnace Creek? Is this the water that runs in the wash just to the south of 190 when heading out toward Zabriskie?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:44 pm

I consider that to be Furnace Creek!

That stream of water originates from all the springs on the other side of the highway. And if you hike out along it during the cooler months, you may find that the creek still runs on the surface much farther than one might expect! ;-)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun May 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks, Candace! Will have to explore that area a little more in my next trip.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Furnace Creek head water

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:52 am

I spent a few hours about a year ago hiking all over this area and found it fascinating. North of the highway and above the remains of the palm trees and other greenery are lots of seeps and pockets.

The main source of the small stream one catches glimpses of south of the highway is about a 1/4 mile north of the highway. It was large enough that I was able to cool off and soak a bit in a wide spot of the stream below the source about a hundred yards.

Hiking further north towards the Funerals are a series of three pump houses set in a west to east line along the power poles. I assume this may be a major water source out of the Travertine aquifer for Furnace Creek?

Like everything else in Death Valley, I find the area fascinating. Just south of the highway across the river bed on the hill is a funny balancing rock with a brown top and white bottom that looks like a mushroom.

Every visit to the park a make a point of checking on it because it looks so precarious that a mild wind gust might blow it over.
Life begins in Death Valley