Blood thinners

Topics about survival techniques and situations
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Blood thinners

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

Anyone around on blood thinners who has any experience hiking out in the rough places? If so, share your experience, please.

That's my fate for my next trip, after being hospitalized this week with pulmonary emboli (blood clots in lungs). I'm feeling fine now, after some very nasty time and pain, but I guess I'm most likely to be on these drugs (a more modern version of coumadin) probably for the rest of my life.

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Re: Blood thinners

Post by Daw89446 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:42 pm

No experience hiking, but a memory of my mother-in-law, who was on Coumadin (sp?) for something with her heart valves. She scratched her leg on a church pew, breaking her skin, and it took forever to get it to stop bleeding. Good luck and be careful.

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:44 pm

No personal experience, but I wanted to speak up to wish you the best. Getting old sucks.

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Post by Daw89446 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:00 pm

I know it was news to me when a doctor told me, maybe readers may not be aware of it themselves. Adult low dose aspirin is a blood thinner. And it’s affects are still felt two weeks after stopping. I’ve been on the therapy for about 25 years. Recently a doctor pulled off a skin tag under my eye and I bled like a stuck pig for a considerable time. He asked if I was on any blood thinners, including low dose aspirin. When I replied in the affirmative, he told me about it being a thinner. I’m sure many other readers are on the therapy, so they should factor that into their DV hiking plans.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 pm

So October 2012 I somehow(excessive neck stretches?) stretched a artery over an arthritic vertebrae and some how tore a two inch tear in the artery, resulting in a internal carotid artery dissection, with horner's syndrome being the symptom. Luckily I caught it in time, clot didn't break and head into brain, had the cat scan, spent time in ICU/hospital and on Coumadin. That next March, 2013, was in DV, trying to do a hike you described from Artist's Drive and had to stop as hands were bleeding too much from the rocks.

The docs say due to the compromised artery condition I have to take 325 mg coated aspirin daily forever.

So I am always a bit nervous, especially solo and am much less likely to take chances with some climbing due to the possibility of bleeding from falling.

I often wear gloves of some sort and my bike helmet!

So I don't do many of the more extreme hike climbs others here do.