Lost Tourists

Topics about survival techniques and situations
ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Lost Tourists

Post by ahamacav » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:02 am

Was just reading about the 4 lost German tourists that disappeared in '96 in 120+ degree heat. Tragic, especially for the two kids (4 & 10). Speculation?

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:26 am

Too many theories! Many think it was planned and they alienated to the US. There was a website with a message forum dedicated to those investigating their disappearance that had a lot of information, but sadly the webmaster recently passed on and the site went away. :(

hasselman
Jayhawker

Post by hasselman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:53 am

I have written a report on my findings and speculations on the lost Germans. I'll send you a copy if you'll give an address. D. Hasselman.

Scott
Death Valley Resident

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:40 pm

What really intrigues me about the lost Germans is the fact that their van had THREE flat tires. I couldn't quite think of a plausible scenario in which you get three flats.

First flat: OK, happens all the time. Put on the spare, keep going.
Second flat: Wow. Bad luck. But OK, you're kinda worried, keep driving on the rim.
Third flat: Holy Toledo! Now what? It's really hard to drive on 2 rims. We don't know which tires went flat, or when; but are we to believe that they continued driving on 2 flats, until they got a third? And then decided to strike off into the wilderness instead of hiking on the road?

Weird.

deathvalleydan
Grubstaker

Post by deathvalleydan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:49 pm

People do weird/idiotic things when under extreme stress, but I'm with Dez on this one. I think it was staged and they are now happy american citizens.
Real freedom lies in wilderness, not civilization.
-Lindberg

Education is key to preservation. Knowledge is power.

Scott
Death Valley Resident

Post by Scott » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 am

Dezdan wrote:...There was a website with a message forum dedicated to those investigating their disappearance that had a lot of information, but sadly the webmaster recently passed on and the site went away. :(
I heard that guy faked his death and fled to Germany.

Scott
Death Valley Resident

Post by Scott » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 am

Just kidding.

missyounae
Jayhawker

Post by missyounae » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:37 am

While I do not have a theory...when my family went to Independance to search for Renee Fox, the Germans' extended family stayed in the same hotel for their, well I guess they were up there to mark the anniversary of their disappearance. Very sad.

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?t=288181 (5 pages)
http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?t=272350 (14 pages)

hasselman
Jayhawker

Post by hasselman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Can you tell me more about the extended family of the Germans you met in Independence. Were they actually the very Germans lost in Anvil Canyon in 1996?

missyounae
Jayhawker

Post by missyounae » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:45 am

hasselman wrote:Can you tell me more about the extended family of the Germans you met in Independence. Were they actually the very Germans lost in Anvil Canyon in 1996?
I was not there for that search so I was unable to meet the family personally. However, there is some dialog about them in this thread:

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthre ... 50&page=12

and I think it starts in post # 442, and more in #448. Maybe some in-between and after. I am sorry I do not have more time to quote them all for you here.