personal locator beacon rental

Topics about survival techniques and situations
johnc
Grubstaker

personal locator beacon rental

Post by johnc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:26 am

I was wondering about this, and found a website for it: http://www.plbrentals.com/

Scott
Death Valley Resident

Post by Scott » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 am

Not unlike an avalanche beacon.
My question: how do they know if you are in trouble or not? Do you only turn it "on" if you're lost? What if you get separated from it, or are unconscious after falling?

Anyway, seems like a good idea, if you are really worried about your group.

Rockslide
Grubstaker
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe

Post by Rockslide » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:23 pm

I've thought about buying one of these before; it would add a thin layer of extra safety when cross-country solo hiking. I think that the idea is that you only use it when you're ready to accept that they will be sending a rescue party out after you, and possibly running up big expenses. So it would be best to have a broken leg, ruptured spleen, severed arm, etc. before signaling for help. It's not designed for people who are lost unless they are fixin' to die. I've got a few more questions to add to Scott's list:

1) How do I know that the thing is actually working?
2) How long do the batteries last?
3) Does it hit a satellite which is high above the horizon or low? I would guess that if you break a leg in a narrow canyon that you'd need to hit a satellite which is high above the horizon.
4) Can it pick up XM radio, so you've got something to keep you occupied while waiting to be rescued.

I've been waiting for a less expensive alternative. Do they have a portable version of the Bat Signal yet?
"Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."

johnc
Grubstaker

aircraft elt transmitters

Post by johnc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:09 pm

As an alternative- you can get an "old school" analog aircraft elt for substantially less. These do not give a location, so search and rescue will have to use direction finding equipment. The folks that own the satellites for the system want to stop responding to the older units by 2009, but no hard decision has been made yet. I do not know the penalty for impersonating a crashed airplane.