Service-able Water

Topics about survival techniques and situations
Ice
Breyfogler

Service-able Water

Post by Ice » Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Anyone know of a USGS hydrology database that lists service-able water in DV? It does not have to be potable water, just service-able. Thanks.
Ice
...burned out from exhaustion, buried in the hail, poisoned in the bushes, and blown out on the trail...

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 pm

If you can find one:

320 Desert Watering Places in Southeastern California and Southwestern Nevada: Physical features and description of springs in the area between Death Valley and the Salton Sea, California and Nevada's southern counties by Mendenhall, W.C., 1983.

Check http://www.abebooks.com/ or your local used book store. I sold mine some years ago, but I think I recall that the book is based on an old publication from early in the 20th century. Some of it is no longer valid, but I imagine some of it is.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:If you can find one:

320 Desert Watering Places in Southeastern California and Southwestern Nevada: Physical features and description of springs in the area between Death Valley and the Salton Sea, California and Nevada's southern counties by Mendenhall, W.C., 1983.

Check http://www.abebooks.com/ or your local used book store. I sold mine some years ago, but I think I recall that the book is based on an old publication from early in the 20th century. Some of it is no longer valid, but I imagine some of it is.
David, I have your old copy. It does seem a bit out-dated, however, I'll pass on any info out of it if someone has a lead.

I recall a site that had water sources along with quality and flow rates. I'll have to dig around the net for it since I did not save the link.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Ah! I thought it went to somebody down at PSR that summer day several years ago, but didn't recall who. Glad it's in good hands! :cool:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Alkali Bill
Jayhawker

Post by Alkali Bill » Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Some desert watering places in southeastern California and southwestern Nevada
is a 1909 USGS Water Supply Paper. Its a bit cumbersome, but you can download it here:
http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/wsp/wsp224

USGS has digitized a lot of their pubs.
Cheers,
Alkali Bill