Worst situation?

Topics about survival techniques and situations
B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Worst situation?

Post by B-spec » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:14 pm

What is the worst situation that you have encountered. Example-- Stranded unexpectedly for days in the wilderness? Out of gas?
I figured this would be a good story topic from some of the best on here!

I was out in the Ocotillo Wells on a day trip when a huge storm hit. Everything went into chaos. Washes were flowing, everything was flooding. My truck was submerged up to the top of the doors and we had to sit there for hours and watch it. The mud line was as high as the dash. We had to get out so fast that I couldn't grab my Cel. We ended up trying to walk to Borrego Springs with no food or water. We walked for 2 days and I got to the point where I had to stop every five mins to rest because I couldn't hardly move forward. I thought my friend that was with me was going to drop dead any second. He was about 290lbs and not physically fit in the slightest. Long, LONG story short, we hit a nice wide road and decided to follow it. I remember a red Jeep Wrangler coming up the road and stopped. He asked us if we needed help and we jumped in. He had some crackers and cans of sprite with him. At that point It was so long since I eaten anything that I wasn't even hungry.. It was a very strange feeling. I also found out that if you drink Soda after going that long with out water or food it swells and blisters the inside of your mouth, which is what happened to both of us. We probably should have gone to the hospital but we didn't. We spent the next 4 hours trying to eat club sandwiches at a little café in the strip mall there. Then got a room and slept...
After that is when I bought my Red Jeep Wrangler.. :) It is in the pictures that I have posted up..

So that is a short version of my little fiasco.. Anyone else have anything??

Chris

ccv
Death Valley Resident

Post by ccv » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:31 pm

Knock on wood, we've never had any serious problems. But the two stories that come to mind are:

1. Just bought our first 4wd, a 1986 Blazer, and headed to a little community outside of Zion, Utah, Springville or Springdale(??) I think is the name. In Hurricane, Utah we saw serious black clouds the likes of which we had never seen before. These soon turned into a serious downpour and flashfloods. We stopped there on the highway, a few miles short of our destination and watched as the road turned into a small stream. Just as suddenly as it started raining, it stopped, and we were able to make it to our motel. We must have been in the heart of the storm as there was no sign of any rain having hit as we moved further on the road.
The next day we decided it was time to hit the dirt roads. We were traveling with our buddy who had a Blazer exactly like ours, same make, modle, year, and red and black color. We came to a big mud puddle in the dirt road and we drove around it, but our buddy thought it was the perfect time to find out if his 4 wd actually worked. Remember, none of us had any off road experience, and were about as "green" as you could get. He drove right into the mud puddle and found himself seriously stuck in the mud. He had to climb out on the passengers side to get out of the Blazer. He sort of looked at us sheepish, he thought he could shift into 4wd as he drove through the mud., and of course he couldn't, and got stuck.
Clouds were threatening overhead, looking similar to the one's from the day before that had caused flashflooding in Hurricane. There was no
way to dig our friend out, he was stuck so bad. Half of us went back in our Blazer to get help and were told that we just needed a tow strap then we could get him out ourselves. Which is what we wound up doing.
We came back to our motel, where my brother was the manager, and our two twin blazers were covered in mud. My brother told me that we could wash the mud off in the motel parking lot, no problem. Wouldn't you know it that night, the motel owner, my other brother's father-in-law, came back to the motel, something he rarely did. He found all the mud all over his parking lot,( which my brother had told us not to worry about he would clean up later) didn't wait to ask any questions, just told us we had to be out of there the next morning. So the next morning, my brother packed up his stuff and came back to California with us. We had our worst stuck, and were kicked out of Utah, all in the same vacation. We still laugh at how green we were, and how we were thrown out of the motel and hightailed it back to California.
When we got back home I got a local community college catalogue in the mail that advertised Ecological 4-wheeling Adventures How to 4wd Classes. I made the guys sign up for one so they would be better prepared next time they came out. About 6 months later we were running
trips for Eco4wd and the rest is history.

2. A few years later, in our 1990 Blazer, we wanted to develop a tour of the old Bodie railway from Mono Lake to Bodie. We had gone down it, no problem, but had never gone up it. We met some friends in Lee Vining and were going to explore our route the next day. They "camped" out at Murphy's Motel, since they had been out the whole week before and wanted at least one night of modern conveniences. We headed for Mono Mills, and primitive camping there, since it was our first day out. We planned on setting up camp there, then meeting our friends at the Mono Lake Inn for a gourmet meal. This was before cell phones were popular, but we had ham radio communications,
between us. On our way to Mono Mills we got stuck in the soft pumice, and we tried to dig ourselves out, with no luck. We finally called our friends back at Lee Vining on the ham, & had them come pull us out. We had our dinner at Mono Inn, then went back to our respective overnight spots.
The next morning we met for breakfast at Nicely's, then headed up the old Bodie railway grade into the hills towards Bodie. Our vehicle, I think this was probably our second Blazer by then, got high centered and we couldn't go any further. I got out while my husband tried to back out and start over. But I realized, he was so close to the cliff, he would wind up rolling down it, if he made one wrong move. Our friend had a jeep that was hardcore outfitted and featured in 4x4 magazines, and he wenched us out, by taking advantage of a nearby tree because of the awkward position we were in and no way to get around us. It took some doing, but he got the wench configured, and pulled us out.
Our Blazer wouldn't go over that spot, even when we made a second attempt after being pulled free, so we gave up on trying to get up the Bodie railway, and decided this was not a trip we wanted to offer for our tours. It was odd, though, that we had so much trouble - twice on the same trip. When we got home, we found out that the 4wd was disengaged, and this was a problem that doomed us on and off after that whenever we were out, but we learned that it was a simple fix under the hood & knew what to look for and what to do when it happened again. We had it happen on a few tours, and never said a word, just planned a group stop for a little break, lifted the hood, fixed the problem, and no one even knew.

Moral of the stories: Learn what you are doing before you go out, and have proper supplies and communication. Always travel with someone, or at the very least have someone know where you are. Trade your Blazer in for a Toyota - since we've had the Forerunner, we don't have these problems. :roll: Oh, and stay away from Utah. :wink: And it probably helps to watch the weather reports, too :wink: These were situations that could have turned out a lot worse under other circumstances.
Cecile
---------------
Well behaved women rarely make history-
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
www.explorehistoricalif.com

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:26 pm

Great story Cecile.. I was hoping that you would post up something.. I think I have read every word on your website!!! :-D

Oh, and stay away from Utah.
HEY.. I live in Utah and never had a problem!!! :D

NEXT.....................
Last edited by B-spec on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edison

Post by Edison » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:03 pm

first time i attempted to find saline valley springs i got lost and took 18 hours to find my way back to CA 190 after driving around all night.

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:12 pm

B-Spec wrote:Great story Cecile.. I was hoping that you would post up something.. I think I have read every word on your website!!! :-D

Oh, and stay away from Utah.
HEY.. I live in Utah and never had a problem!!! :D

NEXT.....................
Funny, some of my most extreme experiences were in Utah, though none as bad as Chris's: getting lost for 6 hours on a desert hike, attempting to get back to the campsite from Spanish Bottom, with only 1 quart of water; having my tent and most of my campsite blow away by Teapot Rock due to a sudden storm with multiple lightning strikes within 100'; losing rear wheel drive in a jeep at the bottom of Spring Canyon and being forced to go back up the treacherous road backwards, then having the front wheel of the jeep dangle off the edge of the cliff; descending the Flint Trail in jeeps with only bikini tops just as a cloudburst hit, driving down roads that became rivers and crossing washes with raging torrents, nearly getting hypothermic. Typical desert kind of stuff.

My worst non-desert outdoor experience was having a friend break a leg on a backpacking trip, just off the summit of Mt. Saddleback, in one of the more remote sections of the A.T. in Maine. I was hiking in front and heard a loud crack as if he stepped on a stick, but it was his bone. I had only an AT strip map that did not tell you what was a few miles away from the trail, and it showed all ways to civilization were many miles back over mountain summits. So I took a risk heading down a valley and then sideways off trail, attempting to follow a near-indistinguishable old railroad bed. In 4 hours and 12 miles of bushwhacking I got to civilization and called the rescue service, who picked up my friend a couple hours later with a helicopter. (Postscript: just after the cast came off and he was still walking in crutches, he slipped on a piece of lettuce in the grocery store and broke it again.)

Philo
Breyfogler

Post by Philo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:59 pm

"It took some doing, but he got the wench configured, and pulled us out."

I hope she didn't mind to much :D
KE6CFY...73s

calepo
Death Valley Resident

Post by calepo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:59 pm

Philo wrote:"It took some doing, but he got the wench configured, and pulled us out."

I hope she didn't mind to much :D
:roll:
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~ Ansel Adams

Dvalleyjim
Jayhawker

Post by Dvalleyjim » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:03 pm

Once I ran out of beer at warm springs and had to drive along way to get more.

No seriously on my way to butte valley I took the wrong canyon at night and got the bottom caught on a big rock. My stock xterra ain't got no locking differential so I spent the night there, after 2 hours of screwing around in the morning I was ready to walk to that mining operation when out of frustration I just climbed in and started rocking that sucker

got out,, I know lame story but thank God that was the worse I've been stuck, I go out by myself all the time so you if you find a bleached skeleton in a green xterra you'll know it's dumbass dvalleyjim

by the way just leave me :D

LarryW
Death Valley Resident

Post by LarryW » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Trade your Blazer in for a Toyota
I keep thinking about it, especially with gas priced the way it is now. Some times I just don't have the courage to say goodbye to mine though. She's been good to me... Maybe if I kept her and made a planter out of her. I couldn't get much for her anyways. (even though I've got almost $8k into her)

Here's a pretty scary thing I came across while following a Ford Exploder at night...

modfan
Jayhawker

Post by modfan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:39 pm

There has to be a story to go with that picture. Can't wait to hear it.

LarryW
Death Valley Resident

Post by LarryW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:37 am

There has to be a story to go with that picture. Can't wait to hear it.
I used to run with a club and the president's bro in law came along with his Exploder one night while traversing the Santa Ana Mountain Range in the Cleavland National Forest. Next thing I know I saw this oil covered rock and radioed ahead to warn that someone had a huge hole in their oil pan. Then we all came to a stop....

Had to leave the Exploder there for the night and come back in the morning with a new pan and 5 quarts of oil... We made him clean up the mess too...[/quote]

kylie
Breyfogler

Post by kylie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 am

lol that sucks. hell it be week for me to get a oil pan. I have to take the old one off and weld it up enough. V10 oil pans are not easy to get a hold off. luck for me dodge knew that my oil pan is higher up then my tranny is. so i be replaceing a tranny long before a oil pan.

just ask a tree i know.

:dezdan: kylie

AndyR
Death Valley Resident

Post by AndyR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:11 pm

I now carry a roll of Extreme Tape (as disussed on www.deathvalley.com). Also a stick of JB epoxy and other RTV sealants.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/96825.asp
http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php

Andy

kylie
Breyfogler

Post by kylie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:45 pm

extreme tape. at work I call it cherry tape aka rubber tape. its cool stuff. didn't know it was used for that kind of thing. guess you learn something new every day. 500F I think that's a little high honestly and umm muffler no way. I had and I mean had 500F motor paint on my exhaust tip and its now gone so I can only imagine how hot the muffler is.
I go with JB weld before cherry tape how ever it may make a good fan belt if need. it sticks to its self really really good.

:dezdan: kylie

LarryW
Death Valley Resident

Post by LarryW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:54 pm

One of the nice things about being with a group is that usually, between everyone, you have enough stuff to fix just about anything. But that night we couldn't do it. That pan was de-stroyed... FUBAR.....