Worst situation?

Topics about survival techniques and situations
kylie
Breyfogler

Post by kylie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:26 pm

true a hole is a hole if there is nothing thing there to fix theres nothing lol if the explorer is like the focis then the pan shatter.

:dezdan: kylie

calepo
Death Valley Resident

Post by calepo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:29 pm

It doesn't hurt to know someone with a generator, lights and a chainsaw, either, eh Kylie? Oh...and someone who can remember how to get BACK to the scene of the 'crime'.

LOL :D
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~ Ansel Adams

AndyR
Death Valley Resident

Post by AndyR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 pm

calepo wrote:Oh...and someone who can remember how to get BACK to the scene of the 'crime'.

LOL :D
Err..... isn't that what GPSs were invented for :D

Andy

calepo
Death Valley Resident

Post by calepo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:39 pm

i use that as a backup! i'm pretty good at knowing where i'm going. unfortunately, my husband and kylie aren't. =) Plus, we own the gps, too. LOL
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~ Ansel Adams

LarryW
Death Valley Resident

Post by LarryW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:42 pm

Just now getting into GPS... Purchasing a Geko 301 next week.... Never even seen one before....

calepo
Death Valley Resident

Post by calepo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:43 pm

My husband does love to play with the one that we have. I'm driving, he's tinkering and updating the 'status' such as, we are at blah blah feet, traveling blah degrees, at blah speed. LOL

ChinaLakeKid
Grubstaker

Post by ChinaLakeKid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:48 pm

The worst situation I was ever in happened when I was in college 30 years ago in Golden, Colorado. It was Christmas break, and I couldn't afford to go home for Christmas, so I was staying over the holidays in the fraternity house where I lived, alone. I was working part time at some place near Arapahoe Community College on south Santa Fe Blvd. in south Denver (might even have been in Englewood). Okay - I decide to go into work on New Year's Eve, and pick up a few extra bucks. That day it's colder than blue blazes, and when I get ready to leave, my car won't start. I fiddle with it for about an hour, and although the engine turned over (until I ran down the battery), it never engages. By this time it's dark, and I'm at least 25 miles from Golden. Not only that, but it's very cold, and all I have on is a light jacket for warmth. I don't have anyone to call (all my fraternity brothers have gone home for the holidays), nor do I have any money or credit cards. So, reluctantly, I start to walk. No one will pick me up, because it's New Year's Eve, and as I trudge along it's getting colder still. After about 10 miles I'm sure that I'm suffering from hypothermia. After about 20 miles I see a Holiday Inn, and I walk into it and collapse in one of the chairs in the lobby, completely chilled to the bone and utterly exhausted. By this time it's about 1:00 AM, and probably around zero degrees Fahrenheit outside. After about 15 or 20 minutes, the nite manager walks over to me, shakes me (I was asleep) and asks me if I'm okay. I try to tell him that I've just walked about 20 miles in a light jacket, and that I'm suffering from hypothermia, but the words come out slurred. One of the things that hypothermia does is remove muscular control of your speech muscles. Unfortunately for me, he thought I was drunk (it was New Year's Eve) and when he found out I wasn't a guest there he kicked me back out into the cold. Well, I started hoofing it again. I had about another 5 or 6 miles to go, and so I slowly made my way home. By the time I got home - about two or two-and-a-half hours later, I was so exhausted that I just went to my room and collapsed into bed. I slept for about 15 hours, and when I got up, I was famished. I went down to the kitchen, and all I could find to eat was a package of hot dogs. I ate them all - wolfed them down in fact. I'm certain that during that walk the night before - my body temperature dropped several degrees. Although this didn't involve getting stuck out in the desert (that's happened to me a couple of times) - it was probably the worst situation I've been in for being in a fix without any readily available remedy. Oh yeah - when I did get back out to where I left my car, I found out - when I removed the starter motor and starter motor housing that metal filaments (sawdust - or I guess you could say saw-metal) fell out. Not good. No wonder it wouldn't start. Since then I've believed in knowing all you can about your vehicle, and in maintaining it religiously. It was a hard lesson, but I learned it well.
Biological systems are replicating machines that parse molecular code (DNA) and a variety of feedback to grow macro-scale beings. These highly evolved systems can be hijacked and reprogrammed to great effect. -Steve Jurvetson

Rockslide
Grubstaker
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe

Post by Rockslide » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 pm

What is the worst situation that you have encountered.
Back in my younger days...maybe 19 or 20. Driving from the west coast to the east coast so I could spend the summer with my father. In East Texas, hit the road at about 3:15 in the morning...I liked to start early so I could quit early and still have time for a swim. About 3:30 a.m., in the middle of nowhere, encountered a guy standing by a sports car, trying to hitch a ride. "Stranded motorist," I thought, so I pulled over to give him a ride. Turns out that the guy didn't own the car at all...he rightly figured that he could get a ride easier if some do-gooder (like me) came along and thought he was a stranded motorist. I learned all this at gun point; this being the same gun he used to run off the guy who actually was stranded. Spent the next 45 minutes driving east and learning about the lunatic who had me at his mercy.

He was having a great time pointing the gun at my head and various other parts of my anatomy (yes, even THERE). I figured that I was f___'d, but I wanted to do my duty as a good citizen and take Mr. Crazed Kidnapper out with me...his first mistake was that he never bothered to put his seat belt on. Me, I'm religous about that. At around 4:00 a.m. we were nearing the turnoff to the town where he lived and where he wanted me to take him. Lonely country road with my gun-toting passenger? No way. Started speeding up slowly...60...65...70...75...80. Found what I wanted...nice overpass ahead, big pillars, no guard rails. Got the car up to 85, made a graceful arc out into the fast lane, then swung back the other way and pointed it right at one of the pillars.

Mr. Kidnapper realizes that he is about to die and that suddenly he is no longer in control... I am in control. How quickly things can change. He's figured out what my problem is too...rolls down the window and empties the gun outside, all the while frantically saying, "It's loaded with blanks! It will only shoot blanks!" Guess neither of us were ready to die that day...re-oriented the car so it pointed down the highway and dumped my passenger off at the first possible spot where there was a phone.

I've had plenty of other tense moments, but none could compare with that.

dustyfart
Jayhawker

Worst Situation

Post by dustyfart » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:18 pm

After reading Rockslides story. My experiences while deer hunting in Utah pale in comparision. Will put the bridge abutment and gun wheeling hitchhiker in my memory bank. And hope the situation never arises.
My question to Rockslide? Did that cure you as far as picking up hitch hiker on those lonely highways.
Happy Trails thru Life,
dusty

Rockslide
Grubstaker

Post by Rockslide » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Did that cure you as far as picking up hitch hiker on those lonely highways.
It did for a while. Even before this incident I didn't pick up hitch hikers, but I did help stranded motorists, which is what I thought I was doing at the time. For several years I never picked up or helped anyone; I never encountered another stranded motorist but I probably wouldn't have stopped if I had. I would have driven to the hearest phone and called the police and let them deal with it. Sigh...well then one day, at around 2:30 in the morning I was hailed by a stranded motorist and true to form I stopped to help. I guess I'm soft-hearted, or soft-headed. This was back in the pre-cell phone era. Turns out the young guy had taken his girlfriend up on this bluff to watch the stars (so he says...) and got his car stuck in a ditch (likely story...). I had a pickup truck at that time and pulled my new friend out without incident.

I should mention that during the encounter with the armed kidnapper I had time to figure out a pretty complex set of plans before making my run at the bridge support. I figured that things would happen in a hurry once I got started and so I had better have things worked out in my head. After all, I could have just run off the road and hit a tree at any time, but that would have happened too quickly and I wanted my attacker to have time to dispose of the gun, or in some other way to mitigate the problem. In spite of the circumstances, I still wanted there to be a way to survive. I chose the furthest bridge support as my target because that way I could make a minor course adjustment at the last second and miss the bridge entirely. I would still go flying off the road at high speed, but since there wasn't likely to be any trees there, I would stand a good chance of surviving, 'cause I had my seatbelt on. If my passenger would have pointed the gun at me while this was happening I was going to fight him with one hand and crank the wheel with the other one, in an attempt to roll the car. If he had tried to buckle his seatbelt instead of going for the gun then I was going to try to miss the bridge post but I was also going to use my free hand to try to thwart his efforts at getting the seatbelt on. Then, when we went off the embankment, I would hit the brakes in mid air and try to throw my assailant through the windshield. If he had shot me then I was going to do my best to hit the bridge, 'cause I would most likely have been a goner anyway.

That was my one hour (+/-) of staring death in the eye. It certainly gives me an appreciation of the men and women in the armed forces who live with this every day. By comparison, my story isn't even a blip on the radar screen.

Castle
Grubstaker

Post by Castle » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:12 pm

The worst situation I was ever in was when "they" decided to mortar the motor pool one night. Slept thru most of it, but headed for the bunker when I figure out what they were doing.

Thom
Breyfogler

Post by Thom » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:42 pm

The closest I have come is heat exhuastion in the summer in an open landcruiser. It was the culmination of several days of excessive sweating and lack of fluids. I could not cool myself. Luckily I was able to ditch the cruiser get a ride with a friend with a/c

I had to drive a friend out of Butte Valley to the hospital in Ridgecrest. Turns out he "shattered" both heels and broke an ankle at Emmett's cabin doing something stupid.

I have another story that is hilariously funny (because diaster was averted, barely) that is too long for me to properly type! The story ends with him with a fat lip, bloodly face, filthy, and standing out in the middle of Cantil road at midnight waving a $20 bill out passing motorists to get them to stop.

ChinaLakeKid
Grubstaker

Post by ChinaLakeKid » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:41 am

Then, when we went off the embankment, I would hit the brakes in mid air and try to throw my assailant through the windshield.
That's a pretty damn good plan, Rockslide - better than any I could have come up with in a similar situation. I would like to point out, however (smug look from me as I pet my dog from my Barca-lounge recliner) - after plenty of time to reflect on the matter - that hitting your brakes whilst your car was in mid-air would not in fact cause your assailant to fly through the windshield. For that to happen the tires have to be in contact with the ground. Of course, once the car came back down to earth, your assailant might very well go through the windshield, especially if he had not bothered to buckle his seat belt.

Me? I would have pleaded ignobly for my worthless life - cried - implored - prayed - and then he would have shot me (or at least whacked me with the butt of his gun) just so he wouldn't have to listen any more to my pathetic drivel. :?
Biological systems are replicating machines that parse molecular code (DNA) and a variety of feedback to grow macro-scale beings. These highly evolved systems can be hijacked and reprogrammed to great effect. -Steve Jurvetson

Rockslide
Grubstaker

Post by Rockslide » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:32 pm

...hitting your brakes whilst your car was in mid-air would not in fact cause your assailant to fly through the windshield. For that to happen the tires have to be in contact with the ground...
This is what happens when you omit details...though I agree that even in Bakersfield and LA, where the air can get pretty thick, it's probably not sufficent to bring a car to a screeching halt. I was relying on gravity to eventually bring the car back down to earth, as it's never failed me in the past, though more than once I wish it had gone a bit easier on me.

Ray and Nancy
Jayhawker

Post by Ray and Nancy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:05 pm

Worst Situation for who? Oct 2004 driving along West Side Rd back to camp at FC CG at the end of the day. We noticed a reflection way up Johnson Canyon. Slow down get the binocs looks like a hummer. Didn;t know we were looking at a vw van sideways. We decided to follow it up and found them in loose gravel up to the body. They had a campfire shovel and weren't doing so great. Out came the high lift jack and a couple of 2 x 6 and voila, out they go . They gave us each an ice cold beer which we drank over looking the valley. Sweet!

2005....20 Mule Team Canyon... Of all things we decidec to go thru this canyon on the way back from DV junction. This fellow is on the side of the road flagging us down completley panicked. He got out to take pictures and locked his keys in the trunk. he wants to use our cell phone to call the rental agency to come unlock his car.

WE asked him if he could get into his car....Yes. He could Ray said then you should be able to unlockyour trunk from inside. He tried it and it worked.. He was so grateful and felt like a fool. We ran into him later at Z pt. and he was very embarrassed.

our opinion. you can become very panicked very easily if you are not prepared