Worst situation?

Topics about survival techniques and situations
ChinaLakeKid
Grubstaker

Post by ChinaLakeKid » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:44 am

About that guy locking his keys in the trunk of his car - it reminded me of something I read recently about the dumb things people do...this gal had her car keys on a keychain, and was clicking the button on the remote at the end of the keychain to unlock her car. The batteries were drained, and so it wasn't unlocking the car. Anyway, a guy passed by and she commented on her plight, and mentioned that she was going to have to go find a place to buy batteries to get into her car. He said, "Can I see that (the keys) for a moment?" She handed him the keys, and he proceeded to unlock the car door with the key. He handed her back the keys, and told her, "Now you can drive to a place nearby where you can get some batteries for that thing - I'd have it taken care of if I were you."
The story didn't say if she was blonde or not. 8)
Biological systems are replicating machines that parse molecular code (DNA) and a variety of feedback to grow macro-scale beings. These highly evolved systems can be hijacked and reprogrammed to great effect. -Steve Jurvetson

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Two events come to mind. The first could have been fatal, the second might have been.

1. About 1970. I was riding my motorcycle in winter up the Coxy Truck Trail between Apple Valley and Big Bear Lake, SoCal. Spun on some ice, tossed the drive train off the sproket and broke open the transmission (1966 BSA Lightning). Oil and misaligned gearset. No go. Near sundown, stuck with a non-running bike. Alone. No gloves, light jacket. Overnighted by the bike on the side of the road. Awake all night. Hyperthermia, frost bitten toes and fingers. Mom called a friend who lived next door, thinking I might have been along the Coxy (I was always exploring along it and around Big Bear as I grew up near the start of the trail). He came along in his '68 Blazer and found me around breakfast time the next morning. Left the bike and brought me back to his place. Sat next to the fireplace and found out what thawing digits felt like when warming up after frostbite. OUCH!!! BTW, retrieved the bike a couple days later. Sold it for a few bucks. Now I wish I had it back.

2. In 1990. Went with a friend along the railroad grade of the Bodie & Benton on the east side of Mono Lake. December afternoon near sunset, some light snow on the ground. Friend had a Nissan 4x4 pickup. Wanted me to take photo of him jumping grade. Stupid I told him. He persisted. Stupid alright. Shot up the grade and promptly came down on center of his chassis, with all four wheels far from terra firma. No shovel, no tools, no jack. We literally hand dug that truck out by hand. No gloves either. Took us several hours of hand digging - constantly the truck would settle atop our hands and smash them and we'd have to free our hand by using the other - until we got the truck down enough to get some traction and got out under engine power. It was about 10PM by the time we got free and started out. Celebration in a Lee Vining pub until closing time. Too much liquor. Too drunk to drive. I was the least smashed so I drove back to his home in Mammoth. Probably on the wrong side of the road.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:04 pm

xyz
Last edited by D.A. Wright on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:26 am

No blood or guts but definitely a potential fatal situation. I just got back from 8 days of exploring/hiking around DV (8/21/2010 - 9/1/2010) and near the last couple of days I decided to drive into Lone Pine to get cell service so I could call home and then decided I would drive out to see the Eureka Sand dunes via Big Pine. Temps most of the week hovered around 120 at SPW. I did not see anyone once I turned off of the highway from Big Pine until I was about one mile from the dunes...that was when I saw 3 college aged kids waving their arms at me in the middle of the road. This was about 5:30pm on Saturday. Apparently they were on their way to school in Los Angeles and decided to detour off and check out DV as an alternate route since the 395 was closed from a mud slide that resulted from a storm that blew thru (another story about that, I was in PSR when that happened). They drove out around the dunes and got stuck, about 4 miles past the bathroom and tables. They said they tried everything to get unstuck, rocks under the tires, let air out, jack it up, etc...nothing got them out. Once they realized they were not getting the truck out of the sand they packed up what they believed to be most valuable to them and started hiking over to the bathroom area.

They drove out Friday, camped overnight and promptly got stuck around 10:30am Sat. I arrived Sat around 5:30pm. They said I was the first person they saw in that whole time. When they got to the bathroom area they said they laid underneath the tables until about 5pm to stay out of the sun and I am guessing temps were triple digit during that time. They had 10 water bottles between the three of them. They decided late in the day they would walk to Big Pine road (10 miles away) and wait for a DV ranger to pass by "on his way home from work". That was when I got there.

So, a 24 hour long story cut short, I drove as far as I was comfortable in my 9,000lb diesel truck out to the dunes to see if I could pull them out but got to a point and said sorry, I won't go any further. I drove them to SPW and they made a few calls to Nevada tow companies but no luck, it was 8pm by now. I told them to call Millers in Lone Pine and I would drive them out in the morning. Millers didn't even flinch when they called, said see you in the morning. We camped out at Emigrant and I drove them over on Sunday. John at Millers took the owner of the stuck vehicle out to the dunes and I stayed with the other two for the day at the Lone Pine park. They eventually got back around 5pm, the owner got a shredded front tire on the way back (no LT tires). You can imagine the bill for this type of service on a Sunday (or any day) was substantial.

In the end, everyone was OK and they continued on to school Sunday evening, but the potential for far worse was there, they said they saw nobody the entire time they drove out to get the truck from dunes. Imagine 10 bottles of water between 3 people for days out in Eureka with triple digit temps....

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:25 am

Did they actually drive off the "approved road" onto the dunes?

dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Morrie wrote:Did they actually drive off the "approved road" onto the dunes?
No, I don't believe so. I drove 2 miles down the road past the bathroom on the road and it got too sandy for my tastes and I could only see their 2WD truck with my binoculars which looked to be about another 2 miles away. It was just a black dot with 8x35 power. They said they were following the road and then just wham..stuck.

johnc
Grubstaker

Post by johnc » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Dvalleyjim wrote:Once I ran out of beer at warm springs and had to drive along way to get more.

No seriously on my way to butte valley I took the wrong canyon at night and got the bottom caught on a big rock.
:D
When this happened to me, I jacked up the vehicle so it was totally off the ground, and pushed it sideways. The car fell sideways, and off the rock. Done this trick to get out of soft sand too.

DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY
Jayhawker

WORST SITUATION

Post by DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 pm

We; (My Son and I ) are real life Treasure Hunters. It's a living. But when you are out there 200 days out of the year a whole lot can happen. Some funny, some not.
In 2009 we were exploring the base of the Cottonwoods.
Before we set out on foot, he asked if I wanted a soda. I said sure, why not. We carry 8 liters of water each for a two day trip, and Hell, A CODE RED Mountain Dew was just right for breakfast. We left the Rock Carn between Emigrant Ranger Station and the 3000 foot marker on 190 and headed up the ancient foot trail toward the Rood Rock. We got to the rock with relative ease and struck our path southwest up the rocky canyon. After about a mile or so in the going got rough. I was about 50 yards from him and I burped. Up came a red fluid from the pit of my stomach and I spit. BLOOD was all I could think. Mentally, I was toast. I didn't want to ruin the trip, so I tried to go on. I slowed to a crawl. We met up at he head of the canyon and he looked at me and said "You don't look good" He sat me down and explained that we were probably on a bad lead. We headed back to the truck and within sight of it, I confessed that I was throwing up blood. We made it back and when we opened the door, the Mountain Dew cans were there. He asked, "Sure it wasn't The Code Red"?
A couple of lessons learned from a few old times.
YOU CAN PANIC OVER NOTHING, AND IT CAN KILL YOU WITH THE MISTAKES YOU WILL MAKE.
DON'T BE AFRAID TO ABORT A TRIP IF YOUR NOT 100%
IT'S OK TO LAUGH AT YOURSELF
AND START YOUR DAY OFF WITH A BEER, NOT SODA POP.

Wyethia
Jayhawker

Post by Wyethia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm

some great stories. most dangerous situation? coming back to my truck with someone standing there - didn't like what he looked like and backed off. painful, double dislocation of shoulders, mid oct ober 7,000 ft closest human 5 air miles away.

Wyethia
Jayhawker

Post by Wyethia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 pm

p.S. your story about code red reminds me of a plane trip courtesy of the gov. plane de pressurized as it was climbing just after I drank the refreshments provided- Hawaiian Punch. The trip continued on at a low elevation through the thunderstorms- the only thing that kept me from puking was the thought of that punch...

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Kind of an old thread but here goes anyway; Both of these happened to my father a number of years ago:

1) So he and three of his friends decided to take their annual DV trip during the 2005-06 storms. They were planning to camp at PS then camp up at Barker Ranch. On their way across the causeway to BLlarat it was already raining and they had snow at PSR the night before. Past the Briggs mine they encountered a puddle in the road with tracks along the side of it. Cleverly, he decided to drive way farther to the right (the side of the lake) of the puddle than anyone else and, sure enough, it was stuck (towing a trailer, mind you). Out of desperation he did all he could to escape the mud as the lake filled with water. Later that evening his friends began to panic and he put his foot down and elected to walk back up to the Briggs mine hoping for some kind of help. No one was there, but e office was unlocked and they entered after hopping the fence. They spent an hour or so there before calling a tow truck (don't remember which), who agreed to pick them up And get them out. They were good people and left an explanatory note in the office.
The truck driver towed them out and they drove out back across Panamint Wet Lake back to PSR and made it home safely, making waves all the way across ;-)

2) The second story happens several years after the first 09 or 10, I believe, out near Calico. At this time my father had bought a new Jeep Wrangler with lift and winch and the like. He and one other vehicle were coming down from the Bismark mines and got separated down two different canyons. They had no Wilkie talkie reception and had no cell service. The Rangers at Calico were no help at all and gave him a map and wished him good luck finding his friend in a stock FJ. By chance he went up the mouth of the right canyon and found his friend stuck in a narrow canyon behind hicks in an old RV towing a trailer Manson-like. apparently the guy driving the RV (with 6 dogs, his wife, and two guys who were fighting the whole time they were there) had a warrant for his arrest and did not allow any police or rangers to help. The trailer was jackknifed in the narrow canyon, and eventually one of the guys grabbed his guitar and walked into the desert out of anger. Long story short, at 10:30 at night my father winched the trailer out of the way enough so the FJ could drive past and they left the destroyed trailer and RV in the canyon with the mayhem people. Very Very scary people.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com