banzai run to other parks

Topics about survival techniques and situations
johnc
Grubstaker

banzai run to other parks

Post by johnc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:02 am

To avoid the weather, I ran down to Anza Borrego this weekend. Real big place, and different flavor. I did a quick run through Joshua Tree on the way back. Very interesting rock gardens. Lots of folks everwhere, but I just did not get the "neighbor" feeling like I do in DV, especially at saline. Just my imagination?

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Re: banzai run to other parks

Post by ahamacav » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:55 am

johnc wrote:To avoid ... this weekend.... big ... flavor... rock ... everwhere... feeling ... my ...
Imagination.

If you want to study hot-n-cold-colder-n-near-dead-inside, sit in front of the general store in Furnace Creek for an hour and say hi and wave to everyone that walks in.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

NSBFRANK
Breyfogler

Post by NSBFRANK » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:54 pm

For extra credit. Try that in the Summertime.
(':D')
(':(')
(':?')
(':cry:')
(':wink:')
KXY

johnc
Grubstaker

moved post?

Post by johnc » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am

This was posted in the "general" section. Now it is in "desert survival"? huh?

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Re: moved post?

Post by ahamacav » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:58 am

johnc wrote:This was posted in the "general" section. Now it is in "desert survival"? huh?
The desert can be quite mysterious and deceptive. Maybe you weren't where you thought you were but believed you were when you was?
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

natethegrate
Jayhawker

Post by natethegrate » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:17 pm

johnc wrote:, I ran down ... did a quick run through...but I just did not get the "neighbor" feeling like I do in DV, especially at saline. Just my imagination?
Slow Down

It might help
Welcome to where time stands still, no one leaves and no one will...

anderld47
Grubstaker

Post by anderld47 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:43 pm

johnc wrote:To avoid the weather, I ran down to Anza Borrego this weekend. Real big place, and different flavor. I did a quick run through Joshua Tree on the way back. Very interesting rock gardens. Lots of folks everwhere, but I just did not get the "neighbor" feeling like I do in DV, especially at saline. Just my imagination?
I try to get to the deserts every year.

I spend at least 5 to 7 days in the AB area (mostly in the washes) almost every spring, and the folks I meet there as well as in Borrego Springs are very friendly.

JT has to put up with me for 1 or 2 days. Much less off road (in the park) and more international tourists, so the language barrier might be a problem, but most seem happy and friendly. The folks living in 29 Palms are great human beings.

DV and PV usually get me for a week whether they like it or not. The Furnace Creek area is very busy, but people seem happy to be there and it shows. Stovepipe Wells and everywhere in PV seem to be populated by people who just enjoy living. It's kinda like Italy except I can understand them.

Of course you do get the ugs mixed in there, but a much lower percentage than a drive to work during rush hour!