Source for recent satellite images?

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Source for recent satellite images?

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Could anyone point me to a website where I can view the most recent satellite images possible? I.e., more current than you typically find on Google Earth. And yes, I am mostly interested in Death Valley itself. :cool:

ThirdEyeGuy
Jayhawker

Re: Source for recent satellite images?

Post by ThirdEyeGuy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:23 am

I was wondering this as well! Someone posted an excellent site before that had satellite images from the previous day but I can't find it. I did locate this site though: https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/ . You can select the date and then zoom into an area. I was looking for snow on a particular pass but didn't see any. Good luck!

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Depends on the resolution you want. There is the MODIS Today site (google it) which gives up to 250m resolution every day.

For more common, higher resolution imagery platforms, GE or Apple/Bing/TomTom maps are your best bet. The west side of the Panamints was updated as of September 2017 I think.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the answers.

I just moved, and I don't have internet set up yet here. Once I get some actual Broadband again at home, I will check out the sites.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to share them!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think the worldview site is MODIS data,and hence the same resolution, but in a form that I find slightly easier to handle, in terms of scrolling and zooming.