Edmunds tests Honda Ridgeliner in DV

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
birkoff
Jayhawker

Edmunds tests Honda Ridgeliner in DV

Post by birkoff » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm

I got this video from Edmunds. Where are the railroad tracks that are in the first minute of the video?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Edmunds tests Honda Ridgeliner in DV

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 pm

The tracks are of the Trona Railway. In the scene just previous you can see the Trona Pinnacles and Pilot Knob. The Trona Railway runs along the pinnacles to interchange withe the Union Pacific at Searles.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:33 pm

A lesson is to be learned from this video for all who drive too fast on those washboard roads.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 am

Randy O wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:33 pm
A lesson is to be learned from this video for all who drive too fast on those washboard roads.
I agree entirely!
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:08 am

Very, very informative. Thank you for posting.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am

birkoff wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm
I got this video from Edmunds.
Wow, very informative so thanks for posting this video.

A few years ago I drove my old Honda Accord to the Racetrack without a problem after having aired down the tires and driving slowly. It took a while but I got out and back w/o a problem. LOL

Now every trip to DV I always carry a 12-volt air compressor to air up after, if I ever need to air down. Works great no matter if in a truck, jeep or car.
Life begins in Death Valley

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Airing down street tires is not advisable and will lead to sidewall failure. Be careful.

Would have been nice if they said how fast they were driving at first before airing down and driving slower. Didn't look that fast, but the video participants also didn't seem like they knew their stuff. :rofl:

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 am

It looked to me like they were driving quite fast on that road and the evidence is what it did to their shocks. I never air down our Jeep and it has AT tires but I do take my time on wash board roads and let others with less common sense go by when they catch up with me. I always see the Farabee Jeeps driving those roads like they are paved but then it's a rental so what the hey, huh? The journey is part of the experience in the desert, slow down and enjoy the ride.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 am

Randy O wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 am
The journey is part of the experience in the desert, slow down and enjoy the ride.
It seems to me that there is an ideal speed to drive smoothly over washboard roads. This depends on the wheelbase and wheel size. If you go just the right speed your vehicle will just his the tops of the washboards and you'll get a much smoother sensation with much less vibration. I've experienced this a few times on straightways in the Saline Valley and Harvey Wade Road.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 pm

This is a great comment from a post by David_Bricker in an old thread, which always comes to my mind when traveling on washboarded roads:
David_Bricker wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:01 pm

I have determined, through exhaustive research, that the smoothest speed for washboard roads is precisely 10 MPH OVER the point in which you lose control of your vehicle! Better to drop down to the next slowest, but not quite as smooth spped. It all depends on the harmonics of the washboard, and your vehicle.
viewtopic.php?t=2798
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah, there certainly seems to be a general speed at which a washboarded road rides the best. Depends on the road and the vehicle, both of which have a ton of different factors that come into play.

As with most roads, driving at the speed you feel most comfortable and in control is the best option. If you see someone coming up faster than you then pull over and let them do their thing. Sometimes they have less common sense – or maybe they're a more experienced driver with a better equipped vehicle.

10 MPH OVER the point in which you lose control of your vehicle ... that's an interesting barometer to go by. If I'm in a spot where I'm losing control of my truck I personally back off and reevaluate my speed.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Satire leads to Flat-tired

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm

"I have determined, through exhaustive research, that the smoothest speed for washboard roads is precisely 10 MPH OVER the point in which you lose control of your vehicle! "

I laughed out loud when I read this, I assumed it was a clever satire with the dead giveaways being "exhaustive research and precisely 10 MPH over."

Although I must confess while driving fast over washboards to reach that "sweet spot speed" and feeling a loss of control coming on, I accelerated and turned the steering straight ahead in order for the back end to align itself to straighten out rather than hit the breaks or let off of the gas. Whether that was precisely 10 MPH over panic mode or not, my white knuckles and big eyes prevented me from determining.

Finding that sweet spot is like setting "cruise control" and smiling.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:46 pm

I generally stay slow on the washboards. Takes strict discipline when you’re going less than 25mph and just getting to the rock cairn marking the road up Lippincott and you are headed to the springs.

Once, trying to keep up with a group of board members after dark in ‘08 heading to PSR after running Lippincott, I broke my practice and ran at a speed where the ride, racket and control were seriously compromised. I had changed into flip flops and more comfy clothes at the junction of Lippencott/Saline, plus putting away camera equipment; thus by the time I got underway I was about three miles behind. Somewhere before starting to climb South Pass, I felt two objects hit the top of my feet. To this day I haven’t a clue as to what under the dash those two bolts fell out of, but since I’ve had a persistant harmonic buzz/rattling just under the dash by the defroster vents whenever my Taco is running over courser pavement. :sad:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 pm

55-65 mph on straight sections, slow down on bends because of the 12psi in 12.5 x17 8 ply tires. Point being the vehicle you equipped and built pretty much sets what is an optimum speed. Slow down when someone is coming at you. When you come up on someone going your same direction give the 2 miles to pull over then go by at a reasonable dustless speed. If the don't let me by I go by.