Vya, Nevada - Washoe County

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
NSBFRANK
Breyfogler

Vya, Nevada - Washoe County

Post by NSBFRANK » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Anybody been to Vya, NV in Washoe County? I understand that the Yella Dog Ranch opened a few years ago with a restaurant and a couple of rooms. I'd just like to know if anyone has stayed there or at least has some familiarity with this "sparsley populated", beautiful area.

I've listed related posts from this site
TITLE: Emptiest country in the lower 48 states

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20681
KXY

Toysx2
Jayhawker

Post by Toysx2 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 am

Hello!

I haven't been to Vya, but would like to provide a source that you might be interested in reading that provides a very general description of the country up that way.

In August of 2004, in National Geographic Adventure Magazine, author Charles Graeber posted an article titled "Hey Honey Have You Seen The Road Lately?". The article describes the author's 20 day trip from Canada to Mexico on backroads. He passed east of Vya and re-provisioned at the Soldier Meadows Ranch mentioned in the link that you provided above.

I've kept the article to use as a reference when I get to come up into that area. I am hoping to someday maybe try to duplicate Graeber's adventure!

HTH Toysx2

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:16 pm

There are a couple of buildings scattered over several miles, no town of any sort

http://www.greatbasinguide.com/applegatetrail.htm

Toysx2
Jayhawker

Post by Toysx2 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:08 am

greatbasinguide wrote:There are a couple of buildings scattered over several miles, no town of any sort

http://www.greatbasinguide.com/applegatetrail.htm
Hi all!

Here is what Graeber had to say,

"By afternoon we're following the bed of Slumgullion Creek down toward a distant patch of green meadow fronting an arched iron gate. In the 1860's, this was the winter camp of old Fort McGarry............and McGarry became the ranch that today is run as the Soldier Meadows dude ranch. Their welcome sign sends a cheer through the car. Both vehicle and passengers are desperate for refueling."

In looking at the Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer, I see quite a few lakes in that section of Nevada. In addition to riding the backroads, do enough of them have water or are sizeable enough to bring along a kayak or canoe?

Toysx2

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Well, first, Vya is a long way from Soldier Meadow, which was the winter camp for Fort McGarry Fort McGarry was located at Summit Lake a few miles north and much higher, and is off limits to whites. It is on a very isolated reservation and the Paiutes there are not real fond of whites.

Another lake is High Rock which is mostly dry these days, very small. The other lakes you see on a map such as Massacre are ephemeral and are usually dry, when wet they are not very esthetic. Goose Lake in CA is beautiful.

Getting from Vya to Soldier Meadow or vice versa takes a high clearance vehicle and is very hard to do in a wet spring. It really is some of the most isolated country in America. In fact Soldier Meadow Ranch is considered the most isolated settlement in the lower 48. It is a bed and breakfast well worth the trip. There is a great hot pond on the ranch which you can use.

redshoesgirl
Grubstaker

Post by redshoesgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:21 pm

this looks to be an interesting place to visit.

http://www.oldyelladogranch.com/index.asp

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:37 pm

It might be a fine place, I am unfamiliar with it. there is a place with a bunch of singlewide trailers stuck together, it looks like some cult compound. The land is wide open and goes forever. If there is a decent place to stay as yelladog might be, it would be well worth visiting

SteveS

Re: Vya, Nevada - Washoe County

Post by SteveS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 am

NSBFRANK wrote:Anybody been to Vya, NV .....
I was in the area last week and had a short visit with the Ramrod over at the Yellow dog. Great people and very friendly. They do have a least one new cabin I saw. Of course Vya is just a short distance over the hill and across Surprise valley to Cedarville.

I’d stay there if I could find the time. Of course Soldier Meadow is a great days drive thru history, east of Vya . I like the newest owners of Soldier Meadows, and they are helpful. I’m not into getting wet in hot springs, but love the geology and Soldier Meadow spring in a nice big pool.

I’ve wondered about the trailer compound GBG posted about, it’s a mile or so East of Vya.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:44 am

Here is what Graeber had to say,

"...distant patch of green meadow fronting an arched iron gate. ...Their welcome sign sends a cheer through the car. Both vehicle and passengers are desperate for refueling."
Don't plan on buying gas for your vehicle(s) at Soldier Meadow. Nearest fuel is Gerblach (sp?) or Cedarville.

Lbrooks2125
Jayhawker

Vya

Post by Lbrooks2125 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 am

I actually live in Vya like the previous posts state there is literally nothing out here aside from a few ranches the town is no longer in existence few buildings scattered across the open range however in the spring to early summer if ur looking for some beautiful sights and a chance to get lost in the extraordinary countryside fer a day take a trip up old 34 and just take in the drive it's worth ur time my family's ranch and a few others are the only buildings u will see for miles I myself drive 28 miles into Cedarville every other day and let me tell you nothing makes me happier than driving back home