Racetrack tracks

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Dave Wise
Jayhawker

Racetrack tracks

Post by Dave Wise » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

About ten years ago near the eastern edge of the Racetrack I found a track about 2' long. A few inches away was a stick which fit perfectly.Not all the tracks are from rocks. When the sticks dry out they blow away.
Near the parking area I found some coyote scant, so my hypothesis is, some of the tracks are from coyote curling.[/list]

RoguePhotonic
Jayhawker

Post by RoguePhotonic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Yes sticks leave tracks also! :razz:

sonyhome
Jayhawker

Post by sonyhome » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:34 am

Has anyone been there when it's wet and windy to see all that stuff move around?

Maybe drop a man made object with a sail to implement the longest trail before the rains, look for it on the first dry day? Record the track with a GPS?

engineco16
Jayhawker

Post by engineco16 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:47 pm

I would love to one day go there during a storm. Everyone complains about the road, but I don't see it being that bad even is bad conditions. I'll be haeding there in late April and plan on spending the night there. Not much chance for stormy weather though.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 am

Someone drove out on the playa near the parking area for the Grandstand. Please don't place anything man-made out there. One does it, lots do it. Then it will not be pristine as it is. Go out to Bonnie Claire if you want to put stuff on a playa.

Moka
Jayhawker

Tracks at Bonnie Claire

Post by Moka » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 am

Where can I find tracks at Bonnie C? Because we are coming from Ryolithe, so it would be on the way.
Thanks for help and greetings from Austria,
Monika

matmiss
Breyfogler

Bonnie Claire lake

Post by matmiss » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 am

Bonnie Claire lakebed is on the northern road to Scotty's Castle, not on the Rhyolite Road - NV 267. Map shows townlet of Bonnie Claire (now long gone) and lake bed south of road, and a bit farther west several little lakelets labeled Bonnie Claire lakebed. The Johnson's pilot landed on one of those lakebeds a bunch during construction of the Castle and bringing them in from Chicago- so there may be traces of a runway? Not sure which lakebed the kids from NASA project put telemetered rocks on to keep track - explore gently and DON'T MOVE ANYTHING - there are experimental plots out there.

Driver
Jayhawker

Post by Driver » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 pm

The remains of the airfield runways Johnson's pilot used west of Bonnie Claire and north of NV 267 are still visible but overgrown. I understand it was a regular refueling stop for the airmail planes of the day.