What is it, and/or where is it?

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: What is it, and/or where is it?

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Nope, its not off 190 east or near Wildrose. And definitely not in Israel or Oregon! :D

This little trail takes off from next to the Grapevine Ranger Station. As the sign indicates, its only about 100 yards long. So it simply winds around a bit, passing by several low markers like the one in the pic below. They are supposed to identify plants, but in some cases the specified plant doesn't seem to be present.

Most of the signs are difficult or nearly impossible to read, so this was obviously put together quite a few years ago. Maybe by the CCC?! The trail is fairly clear, though, so apparently enough people see the sign and walk on it that it hasn't become overgrown.

Also, near the end of the trail, there's this odd thing that looks like it would be a spotting scope. But, its bent, and has no lenses in it. But I like how it is mounted with cement in an old tire rim... reminds me of tetherball setups I played with when I was a kid. ;-)

ImagePC160276 by Candace66, on Flickr

ImagePC160283 by Candace66, on Flickr

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:47 am
No guesses, even? It's in a developed area, but not in Furnace or Cow Creek. Is that enough of a hint? :biggrin:
Aaaaah! It's north of the "visitor center" at the former Grapevine entrance station! Nicely done!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 pm

I can see in the other threads that some of y'all are visiting the Park. Surely you have photographed something out of the ordinary that you wouldn't mind revealing the location of? ;-)

Until someone else makes a contribution here :razz: , I'll bump this thread with a pic of something outside the Park.

You may have driven past this place on your way to/from DVNP. Have you noticed this cross? Or better yet taken the short hike to visit it?

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am

Is this on the north side of the pass where the cutoff road from NV 160 to Tecopa climbs a pass in the Nopah range? Someone built a memorial up there at some time and I might have seen a cross like this a bit uphill, but the date shakes at China Ranch were calling and it was a very hot day... Actually I think it was the nearby trilobite bed that was calling more.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Trilobite Bed?

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Is there a trilobite bed that is open for public digging around Death Valley? I mean outside of park boundaries of course. I've dug for trilobites west of Delta, UT before with great success at the public dig pit.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:42 pm

The place we went was by the side of the road, the "Old Spanish Trail Highway", that comes from NF 160 over the Nopah Range and down to Tecopa. On the south side of the road, just a bit down from the pass. It wasn't that great, we just found a few bits and pieces of fossil.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks, Geek for the tips.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 am

Oh that should say "NV 160" not NF. its the road with the turnoff for China Ranch. There's a bit of a shallow road cut on that side of the road, just a bit west of the pass, but I don't have a clearly recollection.

Now where's Candace to see if I win a prize for correct answer to the photo question? :)

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 am
Is this on the north side of the pass where the cutoff road from NV 160 to Tecopa climbs a pass in the Nopah range? Someone built a memorial up there at some time and I might have seen a cross like this a bit uphill, but the date shakes at China Ranch were calling and it was a very hot day... Actually I think it was the nearby trilobite bed that was calling more.
You're in the right general area, but no that's not quite where it is.

This memorial is on a hill south of Hwy 178, and lies about two miles or so NE of Shoshone. After you come over the little pass while driving from Pahrump toward Shoshone, it will be on your left.

I spotted it one day while I had some extra time, so I got off the highway and hiked up the hill to have a look. Definitely some nice views from up there.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 am

Here's another one, fresh from my trip last weekend! :cool:

This site is in the Park, have you been here?

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am

Looks like Gold Valley but I didn't see that last time we were there. Anyway, that's my guess.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Skidoo?

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Where have all the missing photos gone?

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 pm

"Image no longer available - FLIKR"

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Where have all the missing photos gone?

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 pm
"Image no longer available - FLIKR"
Hmm, is anyone else having trouble seeing it? I haven't moved the image around, its still in flickr.

Anyway, so far none of the guesses are correct. :D

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Image shows up fine on my side. Real interested to see where this one is. Love it and would like to maybe see one day.