Heading to TJ

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
GaryW
Jayhawker

Heading to TJ

Post by GaryW » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 am

Howdy Folks
I'll be heading down to TJ from Santa Cruz on the 1st of Sept and and heading home sometime around the 6th. Don't have to be back to work till the 10th.
Was hoping for some suggestions for 4-wheeling, photographing, and camping along the way back between border and mojave (mojave being the last point before heading back over the mountains), and hopefully not get baked to well done. If I were up in the panamints i'd know what to do but am clue down south.
Thanks for any suggestions, and happy wheelin
Gary

sheepranch
Breyfogler

Post by sheepranch » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Hey Gary ,
I hope you enjoy your stay south of the border. My only suggestion down there would be make it to Puerto Nuevo for lobster and depending on your itinerary San Quentin for wheelin.

As for going home may I suggest heading 'East' once you cross the border. If you find the 8 freeway it'll head you toward 'El Centro' . Take it till you get to the 79 then go 'north'. Now you're in Anza Borrego state park area . Plenty of camping and wheelin' . A little farther and you hook up with the 78 if you go east toward Brawley , more wheelin and camping. 'Blu Inn' is a popular store/rest spot/gas/camping facility you'll find helpful.

From there if you find the 86 expressway and head north your gonna find 'Ocotillo Wells' and the 'Freeman ' property . Great wheeling with many interesting features , like the 'pumpkin patch' and 4 palms , geothermal mud holes and the like. Plenty places to get gas and food up . See my posts in another section in this forum under salton sea/ocotillo .

Heading farther north hook up with the 10 freeway going west you have a few options while heading toward Mojave . You could do the 62 toward Yucca Valley and connect with the 247 . This cuts back through Lucerne Valley and towards Barstow. If your in this area a great place is 'Slash X ' ranch/cafe. A place we always make it to when were riding in the area.

After that i'm gonna let you figure it out you'll be about 60 miles from Mojave. But if I was you I find a way to visit 'Johannesburg' . A great little iconic old town with some great history , and cold beer or sarsparella -whichever you prefer.
have fun and let us know how you do!!
it is only when you stop searching, do you become lost