Contact info for Robert Palazzo?

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
janders1957
Jayhawker

Contact info for Robert Palazzo?

Post by janders1957 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Anyone know how I could directly contact Robert Palazzo?
I'll be in Darwin Monday the 19th. Want to pay my respects to Domingo Etcharren, and see the town. Doing some searching, came across reference that Robert owns a house on land formerly owned by Domingo, and has written books on the area. Not clear if he still lives in Darwin, if so, I would like to try and arrange to meet with him.

I'll be heading south Friday morning, but taking my laptop, so should be able to retrieve responses while down there.

Thanks,

Jon

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am

He's listed in the Bishop area phone book. 760-876-5941. My copy of the phone book is several years old, dating from the time I lived near Bishop but have since moved to Nevada in 2008.

There are two other Palazzo's listed in the phone book, both living in Mammoth Lakes. May be related?

Back in the 1990s, when I was actively researching and writing, I would occasionally correspond with him. He lived part time in LA, part time in Darwin. He was an attorney and I contacted him through that office. Now, two decades later, I have no idea if that is valid any longer.

Palazzo has written a Darwin issue of Alan Patera's WESTERN PLACES. It's available in all the outlets in the Eastern Sierra, such as the Interagency Center at Lone Pine. Or you can go directly to Alan's website.

http://www.westernplaces.net/

Palazzo is also published in the Death Valley history conference publications, availabe at the visitor center at Furnace Creek.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 am

Thank you for the number. No answer, but will keep trying. I found a reference to an attorney by that name and inquired, unsure if I had the right person. Looks like I did, maybe will hear back if he's still involved on a regular basis. Also found his book on Darwin last night on the site you referenced, and bought a copy.

Regards,

Jon

Edit: The law firm was the right Robert, have made contact!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 am

Keep us posted on your visit with Palazzo and tour of Darwin! :cool:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 am

I thought I'd add this, hopefully you will get this info before visiting Darwin. The graves of Domingo Etcharren and his wife are along the western fenceline of the cemetery. I believe the main cemetery gate is on the eastern side.

D.A. Wright

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks, already there and back. I'd sorta figured where it was from Google Earth and some help from a woman that posted a picture of their headstones, but when I got there, the streets didn't quite match what I thought they'd be. Fortunately I found a local crossing the street, and got directions.

Not only did I get Domingo, but found Richard and Valeria Mecham, and well as Elizabeth Mecham! If not for Elizabeth's writings, I'd still be largely in the dark about much of my grandfather's history. And I met Richard and Valeria about 8 years ago, they gave me some copies of her writings that really kicked my knowledge and searching into high gear. It was a close one with them, they both passed within a year or two of my meeting them.

Unfortunately, the drive into Darwin took a toll on my car, and I'm clueless what the problem is. Temps mostly fine at freeway speeds, light load, but get into town and it gets very hot, very fast. Not a blown head gasket near as I can tell, not using any water.
So my trip to Independence tomorrow is off and I'm just hoping now I can limp home. (to Grass Valley, a bit of a haul...)

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:59 pm

janders1957 wrote:and well as Elizabeth Mecham! If not for Elizabeth's writings, I'd still be largely in the dark about much of my grandfather's history.
From my transcribed verbal notes from my recordings on microcassette:

-------------------------
Travel Transcript
July 18, 2004
“Fat Hill Fandango:” Swansea, Darwin, Cerro Gordo w/Vargo’s and Robin Flinchum

26) [Wind noise] Elizabeth L. Mecham [spelling]. August 22, 1891 to December 11, 1981.
--------------------------

I always carry a recorder (nowadays it's digital, not microcassette), making entries of thoughts, observations, interviews, research (newspaper, courthouse documents, etcetera) and field trips. I've transcribe my recordings into Microsoft Word documents, a searate file for each year. The above was entry #26 made that day, noting two or three dozen headstones for an individual who has a substantial website on geneology, focused on eastern California. I didn't note the other Mecham's.
D.A. Wright

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

janders1957 wrote:Unfortunately, the drive into Darwin took a toll on my car, and I'm clueless what the problem is. Temps mostly fine at freeway speeds, light load, but get into town and it gets very hot, very fast. Not a blown head gasket near as I can tell, not using any water.
So my trip to Independence tomorrow is off and I'm just hoping now I can limp home. (to Grass Valley, a bit of a haul...)
Darwin is a fair climb from Keeler. Though not particularly steep, it is consistant. At highway speeds the continuous climb is likely enough to keep your vehicle working a bit hard, especially if you have a small engine. And you almost always have the wind at your back. So by the time you slow down in Darwin, your temp will likely climb temporarily. Just keep the engine idling a while after getting to town and it will cool down on its own.
D.A. Wright

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm

No, unfortunately it's not just a matter of letting it cool down. The hour and half drive back to Ridgecrest, temps seemed just a touch warm, but not enough to worry me. But soon as I slowed to 50, it climbed right up.
I went straight to Maturango, as I had some materials for the curator. We talked for a good half hour. When I restarted, it ran straight up to over 2k rpm for a good 10 seconds. Well before I got back to the gate at the base, temp was way up. One way or another, I gotta get home. If I can make it over the pass, should be able to limp home. At least want to get within 200 miles, from that point on I can get a free AAA tow.

And those digital recorders are nice. I bought a Zoom H1. I can see it'll be very handy to keep around to record thoughts and such, as you note.
And, I have 3 hours of conversation with Richard and Valeria Mecham on cassette. With the input for external mike, I should be able to port directly from tape to MP3. Transcribing to text, that is a heck of a project, but someday...

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:25 am

janders1957 wrote:The hour and half drive back to Ridgecrest, temps seemed just a touch warm, but not enough to worry me. But soon as I slowed to 50, it climbed right up.
Does your vehicle have an electric cooling fan? An auxilliary cooling fan? Might be a faulty relay. Or temp sensor.
janders1957 wrote:And those digital recorders are nice. ... Transcribing to text, that is a heck of a project, but someday...
Dragon Naturally Speaking is a talk to text program that's been around for some years now. The price has dropped considerably, in fact it's bundled with some of the higher end recorders now. I'd love to get it, but haven't yet. It's been more of a matter of yet more software to have to train to my own idiosynchrocies than anything. That and I don't get out nor research much anymore since I'm no longer actively writing. I'm content with simply putting the voice files onto my hard drive in a folder where I keep my old transcript files from the past.
D.A. Wright

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 am

It was too dark and car too hot to mess with last night when I got back to my room. It appears maybe problem w/radiator cap and/or surge tank, at the least it's not returning water to the radiator, so perhaps water was vented rather than going to the surge tank. Put a good 30 oz of water in it this morning. At least I know for sure why it was running hot. I'd taken the full surge tank as a sign the radiator was fine. Feeling better about my chances of getting home, I'm carrying a gallon, will pick up some more on the way out, just in case. Hoping it was just the drive into Darwin that started the problem. I was busy taking pictures as I drove, not watching temp gauge. (maybe 5th gear wasn't a good idea... <G>)

I was talking to Liz at Maturango last night, she mentioned the Dragon Naturally Speaking, but said it doesn't do well at all when there's different voices. Fine to transcribe a single speaker, but if two or more people are talking, as with an interview, it chokes. Once I get past some looming issues, I'll get my Mecham tapes converted to digital and start chipping away at it.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Transcribing - especially verbaitim (like I do) - can be daunting. Some of my annual files run more than 5,000 pages in Microsoft Word. I still have some tapes from 2006-2008 that need to be completed. I'm also databasing my transcribed notes as well.

Putting my stuff in Word makes it easier to do a simple word search to find information. I often get requests for info from other writers and researchers, as well as media, and I surprise even myself when I think I have nothing and I find that I indeed found something years ago.
D.A. Wright

janders1957
Jayhawker

Post by janders1957 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 am

Have you given any thought to donating your materials to a museum or other organization(s) that might benefit from your treasure trove of information? Have you written any books btw?

What I'm collecting is miniscule by comparison, but I am really thinking about a book of some sort. Probably a mix of telling the story of how I came to learn about my grandfather's contributions to local history, and a then-and-now comparison between my vintage pictures and those present day photos the Navy will allow me to publish.

Made it home btw. Got a AAA tow over the pass and up to Fresno, then limped home, stopping every 30 miles or so to top off the radiator. (drove with it unpressurized). 10 hour ordeal....

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

Yes, I've been published quite a bit. I've not written any books on my own, but have co-authored one of Alan Patera's books. I've also been on televised media. I've also done a lot of background work with other books and you'll find my name here and there in books by others.

I've donated items to various eastern California museums as well and had a working relationship with Eastern California Museum with a former long time curator.
D.A. Wright