First Post....asking for DV information

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
rkarl89203
Jayhawker

First Post....asking for DV information

Post by rkarl89203 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi.....Rick Karl here, formerly of Lake Arrowhead, California (42 years ago)
In the dim distant past of my youth I visited Death Valley, and have not been back since. I now live in Illinois, and am a triple retiree (USAF, WELS, State of IL)....and I want to go back...

I've found a surprisingly low fare from Chicago to LV at the end of January and thought I might do some sightseeing, exploring and hiking the first week of February. I note that according to mapquest it's about 4 hours to the DV area...

I'll have about 4 days ...what are my chances at finding good weather (50+ degrees and dry)...in early February? Also, I note that some of the roads seem to be closed in the Park....

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for any info.....I am highly envious of you folks who live near there....
---Rick Karl

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Early Feb is generally a nice time of year but sometimes the big Pacific storms do come through and mess things up a bit. Not so much rain but clouds and windy (dust/haze in the valley floors) and snow up high, above 4 or 5 K feet.

The way to do it is to figure out the places you want to visit, and know their altitudes, and pick where to go depending on the weather. Somes times at that time of year I'm hiking in shorts and T shirt and sweating. Other times I'm freezing and go into canyons to get out of the wind, and find half my possible destinations snowed out.

Yes, road conditions are variable. You can check the NPS morning report, you can ask here, but it all depends on what you're driving, how good you are at driving it, and whether you're willing to pay for a tow if you get yourself stuck :)

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

What kind of hikes/stuff do want to do or see while you are there?
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

4 days is a reasonable amount of time, as opposed to trying to see the place in a day.

I empathize with living a long ways away from DV. It does add challenges to visiting.

There are lots of things to see. Perhaps you can give us some more information about what type of things you want to see. Historical, hiking, off-road, mines, etc.

David Bricker / SYR

rkarl89203
Jayhawker

Post by rkarl89203 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi...thanks for all the kind replies....

I am looking to explore some mining areas as I am a mining history nut of sorts....I recall a place called Rhyolite but online research seems to indicate that has become a bit of an artist colony or such.

I WANTED to get to Keane Wonder but I understand that is now closed....
I will be traveling US 95 from LV to the cutoff.....and then looping thru, hopefully. I am an accomplished (though getting older) hiker so a couple of miles offroad hiking is just fine with me.

Thanks for any info.....
Rick Karl/RFD

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:26 pm

If you can afford it, I reccomend renting a Jeep at Furnace Creek if you don't get one in Vegas. All of the mine sites I can think of require a dirt road or varying condition. Oe of the most popular areas (and neatest) is Warm Springs. It's a nice graded road up to the mining camp that can be driven to by most vehicles. Depending on your vehicle, you might want to go up Echo Canyon to the Inyo Mine. It's a nice place, remote and less trafficed than Warm Sprimgs. Also is the very popular Skidoo and Eureka Mine (Harrisburg) in Wildrose. These can be accessed by nearly any vehicle. If you want a hike, the GDD Mill is not far but very seldom visted and is just off the road. PM me about that if you're interested

rkarl89203
Jayhawker

Post by rkarl89203 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks gowergulch

I would be indeed interested in the mill.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Sent you a message :razz: