NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

Best back country camping spots.

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Jasonbass
Jayhawker

Best back country camping spots.

Post by Jasonbass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Hello everyone.

First time poster, but I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations as far as camping locations in the back country. My best friend is flying out from Philly to San Diego and we are driving up to furnace creek and renting a Jeep from Farabee's.

We get there on Thursday, late morning and leave Saturday Morning, through the Panamint Valley. We have no real itinerary, but would like to see any recommended locations or at worst, the standard Titus Canyon, Eureka Dunes, Racetrack yada yada...

Any and all feedback is appreciated, you guys know best!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

What time of year are you doing this? Fairly soon?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm

We all have our favorites, but I doubt you'll get a massive response for this. But Lemoigne Road is very nice ;-)
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Jasonbass
Jayhawker

Post by Jasonbass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Candace_66 wrote:What time of year are you doing this? Fairly soon?

next thursday and friday...

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

If you go up Lemoigne road 1.8 miles you'll see a by good spot. Just don't do too much damage to it, it's our favorite place in the valley. ;-)

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Almost immediately upon leaving from the pavement, the Lemoigne road enters a wash. It does not leave immediately opposite. Instead you go down (IIRC) the wash 50 yards or so, maybe more, maybe less, and then pop out the other side. I would not recommend doing that bit for the first time in darkness, it may be hard to figure out as it is easy to drive in the wash and miss the exit ramp. (How might I know this, you ask ?? :roll: )
Last edited by MojaveGeek on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Very true. The first 100 feet of road is the worst part except for a few parts with a high crown. Camped there 7 times in a row and never been to the camp for some reason. That has the best views for sunrises in the valley :bawling: makes me sad thinking about it because I love it so much.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Just a minor detail. Off pavement camping is allowed 2 or more miles from the paved highway, except certain roads such as Cottonwood canyon, where it is 8 miles.

One place to consider is the to end of Lake Hill. On a full moon night, it's possible to see much of northern Panamint Valley lit up. Usually you'll have the place all to yourself.

David Bricker / SYR

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Our spot isn't "technically" legal but we've never been ticketed. We even had a nice conversation with a ranger as we were setting up camp there.

But yeah the end of lake hill road is a good idea if you can find a sheltered place in the hill or up the canyon. No people, just a lot of wind.