A sane ATV policy for Saline Valley ?

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
birkoff
Jayhawker

A sane ATV policy for Saline Valley ?

Post by birkoff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:04 am

The Parks Service only allows licensed on road vehicles in the park but doesn't maintain roads in Saline Valley. The BLM allows ATVs in some designated areas they oversea in the Panamint Valley.

Do you think it would be a good idea to allow ATVs in Saline Valley on designated roads or a mistake?

sheepranch
Breyfogler

Post by sheepranch » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I think it would be a mistake...

If you think about it , it's really only one road. What is your philosophy for allowing ATV's in that area?
it is only when you stop searching, do you become lost

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 am

I don't want to see ATV's in Saline. It isn't one road. One main through road but there are four ways to access Saline.

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

I think it would be a bad idea. I think it would have the same effect as improving the roads, encouraging more in-and-out day trippers; hence more visitation, more problems and more reasons for the NPS to add new rules and new restrictions.

Original Bigfoot
Breyfogler

Post by Original Bigfoot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:15 am

I think ATV use should be allowed on roads and two tracks, the same way any licensed motorized vehicles are, in national parks that are natural locations for off-pavement motorized use. Larger ATV's like the Polaris Ranger "four door" are approaching the size of WW2-era CJ's...so what's the difference?

It is my understanding that Saline Valley west of Saline Valley Road is BLM land..are ATV's not allowed there?

Dividing motorized access into groups is how the anti-access folks gain a foothold in denying all motorized access. It's the old "divide and conguer" routine.

Driver
Jayhawker

Post by Driver » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 pm

To get to the part of the Saline Valley road on BLM land in Saline Valley one has to go through park land on both the north and south approaches. So the only legal way to get an ATV in there is by air.