Thrift Shop Old Tech

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Thrift Shop Old Tech

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 pm

This past Friday I stopped by a local thrift shop and found this Magellan Triton 400 basic GPS unit.

Claims to be the first unit compatible with National Geographic TOPO! mapping software. I already have a basic Garmin eTrex, which seems to work just fine with my National Geographic TOPO! map software, so didn’t feel the need to spend $8. First time I’ve seen a GPS unit in a thrift shop. So if someone wants a basic GPS hand held, I guess they’re showing up nowadays, stashed in with old tech Tandy 8086 computers, IBM keyboards, VGA monitors and mice.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:15 pm

That is a nice find. I need to start making visits to the shops near me.

I have a Garmin unit that doesn't even have maps (or the capability). I use it to mark the starting point and mid-point of a long hike in case I get lost.

Maps would be nice!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:08 pm

I have a fairly new Garmin navigator with 5" screen. But I also use my trusty of Garmin eTrex basic, non-mapping hand held in a cradle along side on the dash to record my routes and give me real time data. If my route to a particular point is via a complicates series of trails, then I'll input waypoints for turns and use the routing feature to guide me, the cookie crumb feature to guide me back out. Enroute I like to keep the unit on page that reads out a few parameters (like elevation, etc.) in real time.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:19 pm

:lol: and here I thought I was the last person in the world still using an old basic yellow Garmin etrex and Nat Geo TOPO CD mapping software! In fact I had to downgrade my little laptop I take on my trips to Windows 7, because the newer windows versions don't support the COM ports needed for TOPO to communicate with my GPS. And of course the newer model etrex units with USB cables won't work either with TOPO.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Hey, I am still running a ten year old Toshiba laptop with Windows XP. Pro! I am scared of the day when it dies and I might have to get a new one, wipe the hard drive and install the Windows Vista Home disk my old Toshiba came with! I am somewhat modern, though. I am typing this reply on my iPad ...
D.A. Wright