USGS 7.5 minute quads

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
John Morrow
Jayhawker

USGS 7.5 minute quads

Post by John Morrow » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:55 am

I am headed back down to the desert this November. I was wondering if folks could tell me who might have a good stock of USGS Quads for CA Mojave, Southern NV and Death Valley. I read the Furnace Creek VC stocks some. Is that the case?
I'd love to backpack and car camp at Texas Springs as a base for day peak scrambles and canyon explorations.
Maps for the Cottonwoods from Bighorn to Marble, Sheep Canyon to Desert Hound, etc.
Thanks,
John

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Maps

Post by TrailHound » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:58 am

You can view and print 7.5' topo maps for free at www.caltopo.com . The free site lets you print 8.5 x 11. I upgraded for around 20 bucks annually to a level that lets me print 11 x 17. I like big maps. The National Geographic state series of maps down to the 7.5' level is discontinued, but they appear on Ebay frequently. For the price of half a dozen paper maps, you can buy the whole state.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

Otis
Jayhawker

Post by Otis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

I love CalTopo for creating custom maps.
7.5, and other, Topos are also free to download from the USGS . Nice to be able to choose an older map that may have info not on later maps. You can order printed maps too.

IMO, the newest 'National Map' topos aren't that great since they omit quite a bit of info. If it's not in a database somewhere, it's not on the map.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: USGS 7.5 minute quads

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:03 am

John Morrow wrote:I am headed back down to the desert this November. I was wondering if folks could tell me who might have a good stock of USGS Quads for CA Mojave, Southern NV and Death Valley. I read the Furnace Creek VC stocks some.
Most replies suggest cyber map sourcing. However, my, gut feeling is that you are looking for traditional maps.

Eastside Sports in Bishop has a good supply and selection. You can email for info if they have the specific quads you are looking for. http://eastsidesports.com/eastside/about

Closer, the Interagency Center at the south end of Lone Pine always seemed to be map friendly. http://www.sierranevadageotourism.org/c ... c0cd6827d8 It's been years, but I've picked up many a map before I went digital about 16 years ago.

Still closer, Todd's Outdoor Supply in Ridgecrest (425 W Ridgecrest Blvd, Ridgecrest, CA 93555) was my favorite place during the 1980s and 1990s when I lived in Trona and Ridgecrest. They had a huge collection.

I currently run the National Geographic TOPO! Maps on my computer, Nevada and California map sets. I have found it to work seamlessly on my 10 year old laptop. It has all the usual tools, plus Google Earth like 3D imaging (using the map, not actual terrain imagery), which works great for giving one a sense for the lay of the land. As mentioned, it is no longer available new, but can be found online.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

1974runner
Jayhawker

Post by 1974runner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:24 am

If you live in the bay area you can go to the USGS headquarters in Menlo Park and visit the map room. Aisles and aisles of quad maps in alphabetic order and all for sale! http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/info ... ns/offices
Monday to Friday 8-4
And if you go there make sure to check out the rock collection next door in the library

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:05 am

1974runner wrote:If you live in the bay area you can go to the USGS headquarters in Menlo Park and visit the map room. Aisles and aisles of quad maps in alphabetic order and all for sale! http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/info ... ns/offices
Monday to Friday 8-4
And if you go there make sure to check out the rock collection next door in the library
You are saying go next door and get stoned?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:22 pm

:lol:

For me, those rocks gotta be old. I don't like rock newer than, say, 1987 ... ;-)
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks all, yeah I am looking for hardcopy. I am w/o printer capability right now until I hope to travel in a couple weeks that way toward DVNP from central WA.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:57 am

There used to be 7.5 minute maps at the natural history assoc store at the VC. That was before the remodel though. I bought one there once many years ago. I don't recall if I've seen them recently.

I highly recommend US Topo if you have a "smart" phone. For a few bucks you can get the deluxe version which allows you to cache maps, which I find essential. They have the real USGS maps. So you can browse on a laptop with caltopo and then go out into the field using your phone as GPS.

I was recently thinking back to the old days, when the world was divided into these 7.5 minute seams. Now it's seamless and digital. I do print whenever I know my route, but it's just a window around the route as a backup to the phone (and the phone maps are zoomable so I can go out and get a bigger picture if I change routes or want to know what I'm seeing.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Unfortunately, no smart phone either. I do realize the days of hard copy are numbered....Probably not the bst idea to navigate, or attempt to, with the TI
Nat Geo DVNP map. I think it is 1x60,000.