Park Closure

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
joez3
Jayhawker

Park Closure

Post by joez3 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:15 pm

I was planning on make a trip down to DV after Christmas, with the gov. shutdown does anyone know what is really happing? I was planning on camping at stove pipe wells, will that camp ground be open?

What about hiking trails, like Keane Wonder area?
I didn't see anything about areas further out like eureka valley or the race track. Will those camp grounds be open?

Not really sure how they can close a place like all of the park.

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Re: Park Closure

Post by Older Fossil » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:43 pm

From the park's website:

"Important Notice: Partial Government Shutdown
Alert 1 , Severity ,closure ,,Important Notice: Partial Government Shutdown
The Oasis at Death Valley, Stovepipe Wells, and Panamint Springs are open. Toilets will not cleaned/stocked. NPS campgrounds closed at noon 12/24. Some hikes and side roads closed. Expect crowds over holidays. No services; recreate at your own risk."

It sounds like the developed NPS campgrounds will be closed. I would guess that back country camping would be OK.
Art Berggreen
Living and traveling full-time in a 39 ft. diesel pusher.
http://arts-work.blogspot.com

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:20 pm

"Closures include all visitor contact stations, 3 FC campgrounds & Mesquite Springs. Sites include several restrooms, Natural Bridge, Salt Creek & Keane Wonder. Closures are for resource & visitor protection. Other sites may close as conditions change."

So Furnace Creek, Sunset and Texas Springs are closed as well as Mesquite in the north. Too bad as I believe the park hosts would help out with the running of them, except perhaps restroom clean up.

So sounds like everyone will be corralled into Stovepipe Wells. Could be bad as those sites are much tighter than FC and Texas Springs and with people able to run generators 7 am-7 pm could be noisy during the early morning/late afternoon/early evening. So tenters will really be out of luck as there are just some sites along the dunes and as you enter SPW. All the rvs and trailers would have to go to SPW and be really packed into those tight sites.

The Eureka Dunes , Homestake Dry Camp.

Close in Echo Canyon and Hole in the Wall roads would be good. As are "non-established" camp spots starting a couple of miles up Greenwater Canyon Road. No fires. Areas off Harry Wade Road perhaps?

Emigrant is open. I'm sure it will fill up fast. Wildrose too cold for me.

rhunter
Jayhawker

Post by rhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Has anyone verified that furnace creek campground is gated and locked? La Times seems to suggest they are open but the restrooms and trash collection are closed.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-ca ... story.html

I have a desert trip coming up and I don’t know what to do.

Thanks

Hunter

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 am

This has changed. The campgrounds are open but the bathrooms are closed. S fine if you have a trailer, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/shutdown.htm

What a mess. I've heard that earlier people were asked to leave the campgrounds. Now they are open.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:14 am

The Oasis at Death Valley is a private inholding. It cannot be closed by shutdown. The paved roads through the park belong to the State of California not the National Park Service. They also cannot be closed. Interesting that they say "recreate at your own risk." I recall during the last shutdown that even hiking was officially forbidden. It is also different that the Stovepipe motel is open. Last time, the guests were booted out.

Our trip for February 15 is on. Damn the shutdown, full speed ahead.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 pm

They hopefully learned from the previous shutdowns and corrected protocol with that earlier experience.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:41 pm

They just posted an updated to their Instagram account -- https://www.instagram.com/p/BsB2H0LFhyU/

And more info at -- https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/shutdown.htm

Thanks to contributions by partners, several facilities within the park are open and operational in addition to the ongoing law enforcement patrols. The Furnace Creek Visitor Center is open daily 8am-5pm, thanks to a donation from the Death Valley Natural History Association. Death Valley Lodging at Stovepipe Wells is maintaining the campground at Stovepipe Wells. Public restrooms at the Ryan Entrance Station, Zabriskie Point, Golden Canyon, and Badwater are being maintained by The Oasis at Furnace Creek. Further information can be found here: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/shutdown.htm

Additionally, The Oasis at Furnace Creek, Panamint Springs Village, & Panamint Springs Resort are open.

Visitors are reminded that all laws and policies are still applicable, visitor services are generally reduced, and closures may change without notification. Visitors should come to Death Valley prepared accordingly.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Three cheers for the groups who stepped up to maintain the toilets!! I was thinking that could become a real mess. :shock:

I wonder what DVNHA's donation was, to keep the visitor center open? Are their people staffing the desk and answering questions?

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Some of the toilets ... this part is sketchy as all get out:

The following campgrounds are open, but without restrooms. Please pack out all human waste. No reservations services are in place at any of these campgrounds. These campgrounds will remain open unless there is a life/safety risk.

Furnace Creek Campground
Sunset Campgound
Texas Springs Campground
Mesquite Springs Campground
Emigrant Campground

Hopefully people can be respectful. Hopefully ... :sad:

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 am

Even though they don't list Wildrose (or Eureka Dunes, or Homestake, or Saline Valley hot springs), I would guess it is open, and that it is only not listed because there are no flush toilets.

One flush toilet they don't mention: The Panamint City Hilton....guessing it is still in operation :)

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:29 am

wbdeford wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 am
Even though they don't list Wildrose (or Eureka Dunes, or Homestake, or Saline Valley hot springs), I would guess it is open, and that it is only not listed because there are no flush toilets.

One flush toilet they don't mention: The Panamint City Hilton....guessing it is still in operation :)
Yeah, the Park mentioned somewhere vault toilets are open but not being cleaned. As Douglas Adams kinda sorta said, "A poop bucket ... is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." :lol:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:09 pm

I’ve heard people are taking advantage of the lack of law enforcement and are running around off road and tearing up stuff.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:09 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:09 pm
I’ve heard people are taking advantage of the lack of law enforcement and are running around off road and tearing up stuff.
Do you have some form of proof, or is this just a rumor?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm

It was mentioned on the morning and evening network news. Didn’t mention DVNP in particular, but if it is happening elsewhere, then it might be just a matter of time before it happens here.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.