Power Wagon at Ballarat

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Bill Gossett aka WildBill
Breyfogler

Power Wagon at Ballarat

Post by Bill Gossett aka WildBill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Saturday night my wife and I stopped at PSR for dinner. We met up with several people from this site. During the course of the conversation the powerwagon at Ballarat came up. I said that I knew that it wasn't Charlie Manson's old powerwagon because the ruins of the one I knew was the Manson powerwagon are still in Goler Wash. I said I knew who to talk to to find out where this truck came from. I just got off the phone with someone in the know; the man that put the powerwagon there. What a surprise I got! :oops: I found out for sure that there had been two powerwagons. This is the lone survivor. This powerwagon was brought to the Barker Ranch by Tex Watson. After the bust and all the dust had settled Kirk Barker, the legal owner of Barker Ranch had it moved to the Indian Ranch thinking she would have a use for it in the future. It was never used and later was traded to another person who brought it to Ballarat. So there you have it. It definitely is a Manson rig.

Castle
Grubstaker

Post by Castle » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:49 pm

That's interesting news because I'd alwayd heard from those around Ballarat that is wasn't a Manson or Manson family vehicle. Now you have me wondering some more.

Breyfogler

Power Wagon at Ballarat

Post by Bill Gossett aka WildBill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Castle -

I'm just as surprised as you. I wouldn't have believed it myself except it came from a very dependable source.

Lewis
Grubstaker
Location: Newport Beach, CA. "Where the Sewer Meets The Sea".

Post by Lewis » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 pm

Thanks Bill,

Like I had told you, Don Connally (The old Mayor of Ballarat) once told me that it was Tex's old Power Wagon.

Great to have it verified!

Ask Don about that god awful drink someone had brought to the store for him to sell. It tasted so bad he couldn't sell it to anyone except the famly members, they loved it.

~Lewis
"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." ~~Groucho Marx

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Good to know. Lightfoot Louie told me in 2000 that it came from a mine in the Panamints and wasn't connected with the Manson's. He also mentioned that he's had a number of people trying to take a piece of it - or even the entire truck - thinking that it was a Manson keepsake.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Bigfoot
Breyfogler

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:15 am

Makes me wonder if Louie wasn't trying to throw people off the Manson trail so the truck wouldn't dissapear. I had read a while back that Louie either had, or had seen, the title to the truck with Watson's name on it. Wasn't Tex's real name Charles as well?

Kelly
Grubstaker

Post by Kelly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Interesting, I had wondered if it was Emmet's?
Kelly

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Wow! Great digging Bill!!!! Thanks for looking into it too! Since you clued me in about the second Power Wagon not so long ago, I have been pondering the Ballarat Wagon. Now we know!

Now, who painted the stars inside the Power Wagon at Ballarat? Was it done after 69, or did Charlie or Tex do it?

~Dan

Castle
Grubstaker

Post by Castle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 pm

I guess it's still up in the air. Is it or isn't it??? I don't think so, but that's just me.

Breyfogler

Powerwagon at Ballarat

Post by Bill Gossett aka WildBill » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Lewis - I'll check into the drink with the ex-mayor of Ballarat.

Dezdan - I didn't know about the stars inside the truck in Ballarat. I just didn't pay any attention to it. I will check with my source and see what I can find out.

On another note, I'm hot on the trail of another old vehicle. I'm starting to like this detective work.

Dezdan

Re: Powerwagon at Ballarat

Post by Dezdan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:50 pm

BillGossett_aka_WildBill wrote:Dezdan - I didn't know about the stars inside the truck in Ballarat. I just didn't pay any attention to it. I will check with my source and see what I can find out.
Next time you are in the area, stop by and take a peak inside the cab at the roof.
BillGossett_aka_WildBill wrote:On another note, I'm hot on the trail of another old vehicle. I'm starting to like this detective work.
Hehehe! I couldn't think of anyone better for the job! :wink: Another vehicle eh? Not Harry Briggs truck in South Park Canyon is it?

Edison

Post by Edison » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Breyfogler

Powerwagon at Ballarat

Post by Bill Gossett aka WildBill » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Dezdan - Nope. It's way better than that. It's an old car that Death Valley Scotty supposedly abandoned. So far it appears that all the dots are connecting.

On another subject, I just left Maturango Museum where Roger Mitchell gave a talk on W. D. Clair. It was an excellent talk with great research work.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:25 pm

Louie told me in the late 90's that it belonged to Watson also.

Wild Bill, It was great to have you out with us last weekend. I always enjoy your "recalling of the facts". The word "stories" sounds to fictional.

The Panamint Forums

Ontos
Jayhawker

Post by Ontos » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 am

That "Powerwagon" at Ballarat is actually a Dodge WC series 1/2 ton military 4X4 truck. I'd have to look at the data plate (if it still has one) to see the exact model designation....the stars may have surfaced due to the paint eroding? Havent seen the truck up close so don't know for sure.

If sombody finds the serial number and posts it I can tell what it is...left front frame rail over the axle (or there abouts)