March Trip

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

March Trip

Post by Aedwards27 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm

With less than two months to go I have finalized my major hikes (hikes which are 7 miles or longer).

An unnamed canyon in the Grapevine Mountains with many native trails which end up at three springs along the way. 8.5-11 miles RT.

I've never visited Keane, I am going to go, however, I want to check out a few interesting things on the fan along the way, so I am going to walk sections of an old trail from the Beatty cutoff road until it intersects with the road to the mine. 9-12 miles RT.

An excursion along another very old trail behind Texas Spring. 8-10 miles RT.

Meeting up with a friend to head to a secret petroglyph site in the park. 7-8 miles RT.

Hiking to an old cemetery behind Ryan. 8 miles RT.

Hiking to a geoglyph site on a gravel fan. 12 miles RT.

Should be a fun trip! I am also planning an 8 mile hike in the MNP.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: March Trip

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:03 pm

You're planning to walk the old RR grade over to that cemetary? I did that some years ago. It was rather scenic and an easy walk. Not much left of the cemetary, just a few weathered graves. I can probably dig up some pix if you'd like.

No rails.

Have you walked the narrow gauge tracks on the other side of Ryan to the Widow mine? If not, they are very cool. A very nice trestle in good shape and a switch that still works, or at least worked 5 year or so ago.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am

I would love to see those.

I made it to the trestles in the fall of 2013, it sure is interesting up there. I also saw five tarantulas in less than half a mile!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:16 am

Here's the trestle. These pix are from about 2006

And the switch. In 2006 you could still switch it!

We took off from the Greenwater Valley road while it is still paved and before the Dante's turnoff. There is an old road which heads straight up the hillside perpendicular to the pavement. You can't see it in the wash, it's gone. But you can park near where you can see it (I think it's on the topos but you can surely see it on the sat images) and it goes up to the tracks. Left takes you to the trestles and eventually Ryan. Right takes you to the switch and the closed tunnel.

We followed the tracks around through some nice cuts past a few other mines to the Widow, and explored around there a bit. On the way back we cut down a ridge back to the car. We spent a bunch of time there, but my son was only 6 at the time so we were not walking real fast. There are rails in place all the way, which is nice.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 am

Oh, maybe you would love to see the graveyard pix, on re-read. Let me see if I can dig them up. I didn't take as many pix back then as I do now! OK, here we go. That's the RR grade in the background; no rails on this side of Ryan.

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Is there a trespassing issue to walk that old railroad grade? I hate to get in trouble out there.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Those are amazing photos. Thanks for posting them. You're the only person I know of who has been that far. I checked out some of the other ruins (right off 190) in 2015, lots of tiny house foundations for the workers.

Randy- in 2013 when I was up there they had the off-limits areas pretty clearly marked.

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

So you can walk that area with getting into trouble then? Looks like a nice close in place to visit.

Thanks

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm

The areas off-limits along the remains of the grade are clearly marked (or at least they were in 2013).

I'm pretty sure you can find a map of the Ryan in-holding as well, I'll see if I can track it down.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

This was the property boundary on the north side, in March 2015...

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Sorry for the slow response, on the road No I did not see any no trespassing signs on either side of Ryan, the baby gauge or the larger gauge that is on the other side of town I know it is signed around Ryan and wouldn't go in. We've also been on the mesa above Ryan looking down on it; that is similarly unsigned. So I think all of these places are open public lands.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I concur. While a lot of the land is owned by Rio Tinto, only Ryan is signed "no trespassing." In fact, a tiny part of the baby gage's southern end at the Widow Mine is within DVNP.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com