Eureka Dunes May 10th-11th 2018 Photo Shoot

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
GunnerExplores
Jayhawker

Eureka Dunes May 10th-11th 2018 Photo Shoot

Post by GunnerExplores » Sun May 06, 2018 11:24 am

I am on a cross-country roadtrip in my 2002 26 ft class c V10 motorhome. I was wondering if someone can tell me if the roads from Big Pine to Eureka Dunes are good enough to support a rv? If so, I would love to spend a couple days there incl travel time from Big Pine. I have been to Mesquite Dunes and loved it and shot some awesome photos! Well hopefully I hear that the roads are good. I also read that the county grades the roads every year in April. If thats true, I might be hitting them with perfect timing....Please respond if you have any personal experience with driving on the roads to Eureka Dunes. Thank you! :roll:

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Eureka Dunes May 10th-11th 2018 Photo Shoot

Post by wbdeford » Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm

If the road is in its standard condition, you should be fine. I've been there three times in April and once in December, and each time the road was good. Washboard was the only annoyance.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Eureka Dunes May 10th-11th 2018 Photo Shoot

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am

The road from Big Pine is paved to the floor of Eureka Valley, maintained dirt thereafter. Unless the weather screws things up, there will be nothing physically to stop your motorhome. However, some things to watch out for.

* The road over the Inyos is narrow in places with narrow shoulders and often crumbling pavement. In a tight corner where your rear wheels will track closer to the pavement’s edge, there might be substantial erosion that your wheels can drop into, causing yor rig to heave or blow a tire.

* There are often rocks on the paved section.

* The county has likely done their blading of the dirt roads by now, but if recently bladed watch for turned up stones, which can blow a tire or cause a slow leak.

* As previously mentioned, there is the ever present wasboards. Since the roads have been recently bladed, a large majority of travelers have taken advantage of that and drove at higher speeds, which is what starts the washboarding process in the first place.

* On South Eureka Road, there are a couple places where there are some stone beds in the road. Nothing technical, the stones are usually the size of baking potatoes, but large enough to rearrange the furniture if you hit them at speed.

* I don’t recommend going past the established campground as the road gets quite sandy.

Have fun!
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.