GC R2R2R August 23-26

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

GC R2R2R August 23-26

Post by wbdeford » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 am

My Death Valley obsession has been keeping me from getting back to the Grand Canyon, but finally will be getting there to attempt a South Rim -> North Rim and back. One of my goals for this trip is to write a comparison between it and Badwater -> Telescope and back. They are of similar distance and elevation change.

In most ways I expect GC to be easier--it's nice trail the whole way, tons of water, much less steep, has bathrooms, food, and campgrounds. Two exceptions to that are that uphill is last, and that this is August and not April.

I haven't used my boots and poles since April and they still have Badwater mud and salt on them, which I will happily take down the South Kaibab Trail :)

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: GC R2R2R August 23-26

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Ooh, I just saw this, is this trip still on? :smile: Definitely a heckuva training outing!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:25 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 am
One of my goals for this trip is to write a comparison between it and Badwater -> Telescope and back.
I am anxious to read your trip report and see your images. Best wishes on a splendid adventure.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Hope it's a good hike. I would imagine you will find "no comparison". It's so much easier hiking on a maintained trail. This summer I spent 2 weeks day hiking in Montana (around Bozeman) mostly on trails (except for one epic day of the off trail bushwhack descent from Hell), and then I spent two weeks hiking in the High Sierra (out of June Lake) where most of my hikes were a mile or a few on trail and the rest off trail, on scree, stable or loose, grassy slopes, big rocks, and large granite slabs. Except for a few of the slabby days, it was remarkably harder off trail. In part, every step has to be taken with some care, and in part, the eyes and brain are always scanning ahead to figure out the best route. I was doing 12-14 mile days in Montana and 10-12 mile days in the Sierra, often with less altitude gained. Yes the Sierra was higher (topped out at 12K feet vs. 10.5 in Montana) but I was well acclimated by the time.

Of course a difference with a R2R or R2R2R is that the last miles are uphill when you are most tired and I really dislike uphill late in my hiking day.

Anyway be sure to let us know how it goes!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Was successful! It was definitely easier than B2T2B, but not tremendously so. I have never been good at training for the downs, and the initial 7 mile, 4800 ft descent left me with very sore leg muscles that proved a challenge the rest of the way. Add in the heat of August, and the gap between the two hikes was greatly narrowed. Still, after completing the hike, I could still walk just fine a half hour later, vs. after driving from Badwater to Furnace Creek, I could barely walk at all.

The comparsion I am planning to write will between three approximately 4-day hiking trips of about the same vertical gain and loss. These two, + Panamint City/Sentinel Peak

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 am

Looking forward to seeing that!

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:38 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 am
Looking forward to seeing that!