NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

Telescope Peak, in about a week

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
DVLion
Jayhawker

Telescope Peak, in about a week

Post by DVLion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Hello,
I'd like to summit Telescope Peak (again) from Mahogany Flats. I did it once before in early October or late September. Would this time of year be roughly the same?

I remember it being quite cold at night, but not freezing. And there was snow at the top but nothing obstructing the trail.

Also, this time I'd like to do it different. I'd like to get maybe 1/4 of the way through the hike and stop for the night. Reason being is some photography I want to try out and time will be of the essence. That said, it's a mountain (windy) and a protected environment so if that type of camping is frowned upon I wont' do it.

Let me know, THANKS.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Jim Boone mentions a nice campsite at Arcane Meadows here: http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/DEVA/Ro ... Rog_Tr.htm

I slept further on, more like 2/3 of the way, at a nice flat area, one October. It was warm at night but very windy in the morning.

Don't know about current snow conditions. There is sometimes a formidable cornice on the very summit.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 pm

There is patchy snow on top all the way down to about 9K.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

DVLion
Jayhawker

Post by DVLion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 am

Hey Gowergulch42, are you speaking from experience from a recent trip? When did you go?

I remember last time I did it in late September/October timeframe there was patchy snow but nothing intimidating at all.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 am

I'm here now. I could see Telescope from the valley floor. There is patchy snow, as said above.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

stan
Jayhawker

Post by stan » Mon May 20, 2013 11:45 pm

My daughter and I hiked Telescope a few years ago in June. Started hiking from Mahogany Flat about 4PM, arriving at Arcane Meadows before sunset. Stayed the night at Arcane Meadows, just found a flat spot and set up camp. Woke up the next AM, left our o'nite junk, summited and grabbed the stuff on the way back down. Then we "bagged" Rogers Peak and returned via the graded road to the Flats. Beautiful night sky at Arcane, we had a great time. Go for it!!!