Trona/Wildrose Road repaired yet?

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
happyjack
Jayhawker

Post by happyjack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to make a trip out to DV during mid-week next week. Last year a summer storm wiped out a section of Trona/Wildrose Road (the one leading up to Panamint Valley Road that ultimately takes one to hwy 190 and *not* Wildrose Rd which I know is still closed). I love getting to DV via Trona/Wildrose Road since it's much more quiet and solitary.

I checked the Facebook Death Valley Road conditions and see no mention as to whether it's been paved. A few months ago I drove on it when it was repaired with gravel but no asphalt.

Thanks for any tips coming this way.

Jack

Otis
Jayhawker

Post by Otis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Still not paved.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 pm

No pavement for about 1 mile. It;s washboarded dirt, but certainly doable if you keep your speed down. It hasn't changed much, other than the washboarding getting a bit rougher.

David Bricker / SYR

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Last December I drove it in my 29' motorhome towing my car.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 am

As of March 1, not paved. Nasty washboard. For a passenger vehicle, keep it down to 15 mph max and you will be OK. It's not that long.

happyjack
Jayhawker

Re: Trona/Wildrose Road repaired yet?

Post by happyjack » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:16 am

Thank you good people. Yes, when I last drove on it the road was nicely graveled over but very washboarded as noted by some of you. Fortunately, I did go quite slow (had no choice since I drove my small compact sedan that's 20 years old and loaded with heavy telescopes for astronomy) and did cross it with no fanfare.

Best wishes to you all!

Jack