Upcoming Trip Ideas, 4/12-4/19/2015

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
JesPortland
Breyfogler

Upcoming Trip Ideas, 4/12-4/19/2015

Post by JesPortland » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:54 am

Coming back again, sixth year in a row after almost yearly trips in mid 60's-mid 70's. Two-three weeks later than normal. Dearest one is not coming this time as the trip last year was too long and she is taking a break from the driving. We pretty much hit all four corners of the park. So solo tenting(non trailer) trip this time, from PDX, stopping over in Fernley, NV, arriving this Sunday the 12th. Departing from the west and driving up 395.

Have one of the better rear walk in tent sites at FC reserved for this week long visit. As I'm alone and because I have to take a whole aspirin daily( 2 plus year old cartoid artery dissection), when I get cut(often)! I bleed pretty good so taking extreme caution and using good judgements in all my excursions!

Day one: arrive early afternoon, set up camp, ride around ranch on mountain bike, perhaps walk around in the hills above Texas Springs to the old antenna hut or if time do the Golden Canyon-Gower Gulch Loop.

Day two: early rise. Kaleidoscope Canyon. We located the starting point on 178 last year. Thanks all of you that helped. Not sure if this is an all day hike. Options afterwards are Ashford Mine, other canyons around Mormon Point or perhaps just a hot walk out onto Badwater. Last three years with little rain Badwater has been rather brown. Hoping with winter rains will be more white.

Day three: Continue with exploring one of my favorites, Marble Canyon. Last year quick walk/run up and back through the narrows as wife only went part way and was waiting for me. Explore Cottonwood Canyon. Mesquite Dunes?

Day four: Hike around the rim of Ubehebe Crater for the first time rather than down and up. Racetrack, walking around quite a bit at the Grandstand. I'll report on my opinions of the road conditions! Hidden Valley/Hunter Mt. Rd/area. I think I will skip Lippencott Rd. with my big truck. Last year we did Saline Valley/Dunes and Eureka Dunes(to the top, sandblasted).

Day five: Perhaps partial DV Buttes but they look too dangerous at the top. I know there is something easier real close by. Then either Fall or Red Wall canyon. Red Wall I would have to find so we'll see. Then ride mountain bike up Titus canyon from west entrance a ways and ride back down. Next time I'm here with others I want to be let off at Leadfield and ride down. Two years ago we were let off somewhere in the canyon and walked the final hour. Really different experience on foot.

Day six: might not do this as least important. Perhaps from Mahogany Flat hike either Rogers or Bennett Peak. Most likely not Telescope Pk. Explore Emigrant Canyon/Wildrose Rd. Perhaps make it all the way out to the Panamint Dunes this time.

Day seven: not sure. Borax Haystacks, any easy to get to places off 190, try Grotto Canyon again, perhaps Butte Valley or some canyons off Westside Rd. Actually looking for more open areas than canyons. Will not be doing any difficult scrabbling as alone(falling) and with the heat.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:59 am

Kaleidoscope is a pretty straightforward half day hike. Just don't get bummed out when it seems to be taking a while before the action starts. When it starts, bang, it is all over the place (action = color!)

Would combine nicely with Ashford mine.

The salt flats were mostly brown last month so walking out from Badwater may be less appealing. I looked down at it but just drove by.

Borax Haystacks. Fun if it is not too hot. Dry enough. Check out Jim's description of our hike:
http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/DEVA/Ha ... _Salt.htm

In particular you want the waypoints in your GPS because it is actually very hard to see the haystacks at low angles near the ground as they are nearly flat these days - see his pics. Interesting hike.

Of Fall/Redwall, if you do only partial day do Fall. Redwall has a long approach on the alluvial fan, which can get hot at this time of year, and you have to navigate carefully - the canyon turns right immediately after the entrance so it's hard to see the entrance gash as you approach. Fall is closer (from the parking area at the bottom of Titus). Be sure to go back 100 yards from the dryfall and pick up the bypass on the south wall - the narrows are right above the dryfall and are super.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Trip

Post by TrailHound » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Kaleidoscope Canyon is a half day hike. We went to Ash Meadows after doing it.

DV Buttes? I never tried those as they require some scrambling/climbing skills that I don't have. Corkscrew Peak is nearby.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Have fun, Jes.....Panamint Dunes are well-worth the 2-3 hours to hike to them and back. Say "hi" to the '55 Buick Roadmaster that rests beside the road north from 190.

From satellite images, Badwater is still brown. I'm guessing it needs Lake Manly to form to make it white again?

If you make it up to Mahogany Flat, my vehicle will probably be there. Jeep Cherokee, assuming the rental company doesn't pull a switch on me.

Weather forecast is looking pretty pleasant at this point for while you are there--highs mostly in mid-high 80s.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Damn it looks like my response lost all its text!

I suggested Kaleidoscope as a half day hike and said don't be bummed out by it's apparently blah character as you hike in; all changes suddenly.

Kaleidoscope + Ashford would be a good combo.

Fall is better if you have only a part of a day. 1) it is easy to find, follow the use trail over the berm past the vault toilet at the parking area at the exit from Titus. 2) use trail all the way in. Don't stop at the dryfall; go back 100 (?) yards and take the bypass on the south wall. The hardest part is the first 15 feet or so of scramble. Cross a water smoothed ramp to get up canyon - the narrows immediately beyond are not to be missed!

Redwall is a bit trickier. It's a tad hard to find as the canyon turns right immediately so it is hard to see the entrance from the road, and there's a good slog up alluvial fan, which might be hot. Though if you stop at the dryfall it is not a real long hike (you won't go up that if you're solo).

Yes Badwater was brown two weeks ago. We drove by without stopping.

Panamint dunes and back in 2 hrs? You're a damn sight faster hiker than I. It is 3.7 miles to the top dune and you climb 1000 feet. Worth it though.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Clarification: 2-3 hours to get to the dunes and back....I wasn't including climbing to the top, or whatever else one might do when there. For me, it's about 2 1/2 hours.

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks guys for the ideas. Four years ago we did a late afternoon walk out towards Panamint Dunes, just didn't make it. As it looks like it'll be in the nineties when I arrive and leave, I'll do that either or, dunes early, then head up to Mahagony. I'll be in a white Tundra TRD. Too big I think for Lippencott!

Wondering if I should try to get around the road block on Wildrose. Would save some time. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard?

If you could do just one of those canyons, Redwall, Fall, etc. which one would you do?

One of my favorites hikes recently has been from Salt Creek to Devil's Golf Course. Some interesting pioneer history along that route.

Cheers! Gotta love that dry heat! Can't wait! Too much rain here. Looks like this has been the week for the west coast for rain. Next week looking pretty dry.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 pm

JesPortland wrote:Thanks guys for the ideas. Four years ago we did a late afternoon walk out towards Panamint Dunes, just didn't make it. As it looks like it'll be in the nineties when I arrive and leave, I'll do that either or, dunes early, then head up to Mahagony. I'll be in a white Tundra TRD. Too big I think for Lippencott!

Wondering if I should try to get around the road block on Wildrose. Would save some time. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard?

If you could do just one of those canyons, Redwall, Fall, etc. which one would you do?

One of my favorites hikes recently has been from Salt Creek to Devil's Golf Course. Some interesting pioneer history along that route.

Cheers! Gotta love that dry heat! Can't wait! Too much rain here. Looks like this has been the week for the west coast for rain. Next week looking pretty dry.
I've taken an H3 down Lippencott (heavens no, it wasn't mine) and had no issue. As long as you have 4 low, you should be OK. There will be one switchback you may have to take a couple of cuts at, and one spot near the bottom where you'll likely want to fold in your passenger side mirror.

Personally, I wouldn't go around the barricade on Wildrose. There have been multiple times when the gate is locked at the top, despite other reports that it's unlocked. From Big Four Mine Rd, it really isn't that many more miles to go through Emmigrant to Mahogany Flats. It's a whole lot more miles if you find the upper gate is locked.

I'm hoping it doesn't get too hot too fast. Got a trip planed for May 8-11. May just need to spend the days at high elevations, and the nights on the PSR porch.

David Bricker / SYR

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:05 am

There is a report here from a few days ago of someone driving the Wildrose road and there was no gate 2 weeks ago on multiple days.

Fall vs. Redwall. Well I've been in Fall 2x and Redwall 3x so I guess that is my vote. But you're talking rather different days.

Redwall: Long slog up alluvial fan. Some parts of it have nice desert pavement but there's a lot of just loose cobbles. You need map and nav ability if you want to get there in a straight line. Or print the pix from birdandhike or panamintcity and eyeball carefully at your car. It can be confusing. Redwall is more scenic with all the red walls. But do it on a sunny day - a lot of that is muted if cloudy. Unless you're a good climber you're not going to solo the dryfall so that ends your trip really only an hour or so into the canyon. But on this forum you can find a nice bypass. Well "nice", ahem you might be chicken to do the down climb on the back side alone, but it really has minimal exposure. The short stretch of very constricted upper red narrows are stunning.

Fall: Trail all the way. Texture more than color in the walls. Shorter or at least easier walk to the entrance. The bypass scramble is probably not going to intimidate you even solo. Narrows immediately above the dryfall are beautiful smooth grey stone.

JesPortland
Breyfogler

Post by JesPortland » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Pretty much ready to leave at 7 am pst. That pass, my truck is almost 7' longer, 1/2' wider and foot longer wheelbase than H3. Different beast. I noticed the difference from previous older smaller tundra in how it handles tight spots.

The other canyon by Fall I think is Palmer. Steve has written about it some. Any thoughts before I head out? Otherwide, perhaps just Fall. So much to get done. I own a small six person landscape maintenacne company. Very busy now in Portland. Everything has been growing much earlier than normal.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:05 am

If you haven't done Fall, I would do it over Palmer. Palmer is majestic at the very end but somewhat of a slog over some tricky terrain. You'll see a little use trail break off to the left just as your trail turns into Fall - that would be the route to Palmer. You have to negotiate some sunken badlands we call the "Hell Hole." I offered some navigation advice in an old TR here.