Is Chevron gas station at Furnace Creek Crampground closed?

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
happyjack
Jayhawker

Is Chevron gas station at Furnace Creek Crampground closed?

Post by happyjack » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Hello Death Valley Fans,

I will be heading off to Furnace Creek Campground mid-June. I was wondering if the Chevron gas station there is closed (Google maps says it is closed "permanently"). The reason why I'm asking is because I'm driving a restored car there and it needs to run on premium otherwise it will experience knock and detonation. As such, I'm wondering if there's a gas station that replaced the Chevron that has 91 premium? I'm aware that Stovepipe Wells does not have 91. Many thanks for any tips coming this way.

Jack

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 am

Panamint Springs, while expensive, does carry premium. You are right, Stovepipe Wells does not. When I was through FC three weeks ago, it appeared that the Chevron station was open, and prices current.

The other alternative would be in Beatty or Trona. Premium is available there.

Final option would be to carry octane booster in the event that you can't find premium.

David Bricker / SYR

happyjack
Jayhawker

Post by happyjack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:17 am

Hi David,

Thank you for this valuable info. I'm qutie impressed that google maps was up to date. Will keep those others stations in mind. Best wishes to you.

Jack

Otis
Jayhawker

Post by Otis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 am

When we drove by on 5/24 it appeared to be open.

I think the fact that it is no longer a Chevron but an independent dealer is giving the 'permanently closed' listing until the Google database is updated.

happyjack
Jayhawker

Post by happyjack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Otis,

Yes, I remember being at FC last year and the Chevron was still open then. It's good there are more options now. Thanks!

Jack

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you drop a dime and give them a call.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:24 pm

It was open as of May 26! I don't think it will ever close, it's the only game in town and FC is the "basecamp" for the majority of DV visitors. But as noted, it ceased being a Chevron and is now "brand X". I guess that's what caused the notation on Google maps.

(photo was taken March 9, 2015).

happyjack
Jayhawker

Post by happyjack » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks for the photo! You know, I can't believe the thought of calling an establishment slipped my mind. It's like we're all online now for everything. Yeah I should have just called. So it's confirmed: called FC Center and there's premium.