Telescope Peak Early-Mid August

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
ozarkpanda
Jayhawker

Telescope Peak Early-Mid August

Post by ozarkpanda » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:35 am

Hello DV folks,
It's been too long since I've been up to Telescope Peak. Last time through DV (1.5 years ago?) the rangers said part of Wildrose road was closed. Are we able to park at Wildrose campground and hike the rest of the way from there?

How is Mahogany Flats campground being maintained? Specifically the out-houses....my group is all good with primitive camping just curious how the sites are looking nowadays. It's been 5-6 years since I've been.

Regarding my question on road conditions, I might be borrowing a 2 wheel drive yukon if I get enough people (3-4) to come with me. I'd prefer to drive all the way up to the Charcoal Kilns and hike to Mahogany Flats from there but willing to consider hiking from Wildrose campground if needed.

Thanks!

ozarkpanda
Jayhawker

Post by ozarkpanda » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 am

Oh, if it matters I'd be coming down Emigrant Canyon road from Stovepipe Wells direction if that matters. Not sure what part of the road was even closed. Hoping it's good enough to at least drive to Wildrose campground if not all the way to the Kilns.

Otis
Jayhawker

Post by Otis » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:46 pm

The section of road that is 'closed' is between Wildrose and Panamint Valley, not an issue for your planned route.

My son and I stayed at Mahogany Flats 2 weeks ago. Sites are fine, outhouses were clean but quite smelly. Luck o' the draw as to when they get pumped and you show up.

As for road conditions, you can drive just about anything as far as the kilns. Road to Mahogany was in great condition too. Couple of little crossover type vehicles in the campground while we were there.

ozarkpanda
Jayhawker

Post by ozarkpanda » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 am

excellent thank you, cant wait to get back out there. of all the national park areas ive been to this is still one of my favorite places to escape to.