Twenty Mule Team Canyon

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
happyjack
Jayhawker

Twenty Mule Team Canyon

Post by happyjack » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am

Howdy Folks,

I'm hoping to head out to DV in October to set up my telescope for some astronomy viewing of the night sky. I really like the rocky outcrops in the Twenty Mule Team Canyon that the dirt road cuts through. However, I'm also aware there is a metal gate at the end of this trail that takes one back to the paved road.

My question is: will they shut and lock this gate at sunset? I'm hoping to observe the night sky until about midnight and then head back to Stovepipe Wells resort where I booked my room. I'd rather not be locked in overnight there.

Thanks for any tips coming this way.

Jack

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 pm

It stays open all night, but you're in the bottom of a canyon, so the view will be limited. Zabriskie Point is great, I've been there several times and found the stargazing to be wonderful; also Dante's View, which is arguably more spectacular.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

happyjack
Jayhawker

Post by happyjack » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:10 pm

[quote="Gowergulch42"]It stays open all night, but you're in the bottom of a canyon, so the view will be limited. Zabriskie Point is great, I've been there several times and found the stargazing to be wonderful; also Dante's View, which is arguably more spectacular.[/quote]

Thank you for the info. Yeah, I know it's inside a small canyon--was hoping that it could shield the equipment from the winds. Didn't think of going to Zabriskie though so that will be a new consideration!