Best way up from Shorty's Well to Telescope

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
MarkBour
Jayhawker

Best way up from Shorty's Well to Telescope

Post by MarkBour » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:54 am

I want to hike from Shorty's Well up to Telescope peak. I have two days to do it, since 11,000 ft in one day is more brutal than I'm seeking. I have once hiked a ways up the Middle and North fork of Hanaupah Canyon.

(STANDARD) From what I've read, the "standard" path is to stick to the South fork of Hanaupah canyon, and take it up to the springs, for water. Then to go up onto the central ridge which is north of you at that point, and climb it up. Apparently, this is pretty steep, but walkable, and the most common way up. Is it mainly favored because of the water source? Could I camp near the springs?

(ALT 1) I found the North fork slow going, walking up the scree, though the slope was very gentle in the canyon, then it looked like one could again go north and climb out from there. I went a little ways up, and it looked like that might be easier than getting up from Hanaupah springs. I saw where I could camp on that route, if it is a viable route.

(ALT 2) What looked easier still, without having tried it, is to leave the canyon as soon as it forks, and go north of it all, right up Colville ridge. Except that you'd need to carry more water, this looked easier than either of the aforementioned. It seems less likely to find a decent place to camp, but I don't know.

I haven't really tried, only going part way up ALT 1. Can someone who's climbed it give me advice on the best way to go, and how to do it, loaded with backpack?

Thanks!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm not into hiking from the valley to the peak, so can't add much, but I was on Colville Ridge this spring and saw at least one entry in the (sparse) register that had come up from the valley.

You could camp at the nose of Colville (7730). You could cache water at Mahogany Flat. But it seems you're going way further north than you need on that route.

MarkBour
Jayhawker

Post by MarkBour » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:40 pm

@MojaveGeek: Thanks for the reply and pointers. Also, that's one amazing collection of panoramas!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 am

thanks! I really gotta update them from the last few years!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:27 pm

There's a detailed description of the route from Shorty's Well to the summit, in the guidebook "Hiking the High Sierra" by Branch Whitney. I came across the book in the REI here in Vegas but don't own a copy. Might be a good resource to check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-High-Sierr ... ch+Whitney

MarkBour
Jayhawker

Thanks for the help

Post by MarkBour » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 pm

@Candace_66 -- Thanks for the reference!