October

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

October

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 am

I'll be back in the park for my 2nd yearly trip in October. I have no idea where I am going to camp, although I am probably going to try and stick with Emigrant and Wildrose.

My goals for this trip-

Another visit to a spring which has a rock alignment (I know there is another I can find) and hunting blinds.

Moonlight Canyon (the portion accessible from Scotty's Castle Road).

A quest to find a pictograph shelter in the southern Black mountains (if Jubilee Pass is open by then).

I also have a return to the Mojave Preserve planned, I had planned on going last time, but circumstances prevented that!

shane
Jayhawker

Post by shane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

i'm still planning my trip for the week of thanksgiving but it will for sure include a backpacking trip to the cottonwood mtns, maybe 2.
i'm contemplating moonlight cyn as well since i haven't hiked much in the grapevines.
but sand cyn in the owlsheads was the unexpected highlight of my spring trip so i'm anxious to get back out in that area too. tough choices to make!

:lol:

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:43 pm

shane wrote:i'm still planning my trip for the week of thanksgiving but it will for sure include a backpacking trip to the cottonwood mtns, maybe 2.
i'm contemplating moonlight cyn as well since i haven't hiked much in the grapevines.
but sand cyn in the owlsheads was the unexpected highlight of my spring trip so i'm anxious to get back out in that area too. tough choices to make!

:lol:
I've only rented a 4wd once, so my experience in the Cottonwoods is pretty much limited to the Kerdell Prospect and some other slightly secret places accessible on foot from 190!

WHat did you think of Sand Canyon?

I've down Talc Canyon and plan on doing Owlshead Canyon, or checking out the mining claims on the extreme northern end.

shane
Jayhawker

Post by shane » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 pm

i dont have 4wd either, so far i've accessed the cottonwoods only via scottys castle road or the cottonwood/marble cyns road. you dont need 4wd to reach as far as the junction area.

highly recommend sand cyn. its a really easy hike aside from maybe the bouldering section. i want to backpack through there next time to really savor the solitude. thinking about looping it with passage cyn. the scenery is a nice change of pace from the typical DV cyn.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm

I'll second the vote for Sand. The bouldering is fun, not exposed but a bit of a puzzle. Finding the dunes high on the wall is neat. Very nice sunset views on the hike out. We voted it the best hike the year we went there.