November 5th -9th; looking for hiking companions

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
CraigandJudy
Jayhawker

November 5th -9th; looking for hiking companions

Post by CraigandJudy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Judy can't do the longer hikes, so I'm looking for others to go with.
Possibilities include:
6 miles one way up Fall canyon
Palmer Canyon -never been there; heard it's a trick to find the mouth
Dantes Peak -4 or so miles one way up from the parking lot along the ridge
Other suggestions?

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Around that same time last year, I did Salt Creek parking area -> Cottonball Marsh to see the pupfish. Except for the hills near the parking area, it is pretty flat, though the terrain is rough. It is about 5 1/2 - 6 miles one way.

Was a great experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk4Kl1J8ZEI

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Palmer is not hard. You just have to navigate the "Hellhole" between it and Fall. There is a clear use trail that heads north from the Fall Canyon trail. As you cross the Fall wash try to sight the path as it exits before you drop in. After that the path may fork or you may lose it but if you take the easternmost fork you'll come to the bottom of the Hellhole just after all the branches converge into a single wash. The first exit slope on the other side is the one you want to pick up the use trail over there - keep your eyes open as you enter the wash on the use trail and you'll probably be able to see where it exits. Again, you want to cross the wash up high but just below the big jumble area.

The "end" of Palmer is very impressive. I did a TR on it here some years ago.