March 2017

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

March 2017

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Well, it is time to start planning once again.

Here is what I am looking at so far....

*denotes someplace I have never visited

Day 1: Virgin Spring Canyon*/Virgin Spring*

Day 2: Revisit Navel/Travertine/Texas Springs/Mummy Canyon*

Day 3: Take the Miner's Trail to Skidoo* and Back/A PG site near 190 on the west side of the park

Day 4: Geoglyph hunting near a spring*

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:41 pm

From Virgin Spring (which did not excite me) there's a clear trail heading over to Desert Hound Peak. I followed it some ways, lost it a few times in washes but found it again, and then lost it seriously. I should go back there after doing more map reading and try for the peak (long hike).

Is the "miner's trail" to Skidoo to which you refer the one that starts on the Emigrant road and follows an old road up? If so, that's really nice. If not, which trail do you mean?

Mummy Cyn is nice but not long.

"geoglyph hunting near a spring" sounds like your usual routine :)

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 am

Yep! The one that starts just off Emigrant road. I'm pretty excited about it, I like experiencing those old trails.

I may be scrapping Virgin Spring for Indian Pass Canyon, we'll see.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Indian Pass Canyon is a long walk for a day trip, isn't it? Or are you going to backpack up there?

silvrzuki77
Jayhawker

Post by silvrzuki77 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:47 am

Let me know on the dates. Really interested in doing the miners trail. Limited on days cause of work this spring.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 am

MojaveGeek wrote:Indian Pass Canyon is a long walk for a day trip, isn't it? Or are you going to backpack up there?
I'm going to backpack it, I haven't done a backpacking excursion since Fall of 2015, so this seems like a good time. I'll haul my stuff up there and have more time to explore.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 am

silvrzuki77 wrote:Let me know on the dates. Really interested in doing the miners trail. Limited on days cause of work this spring.
I'll be purchasing my plane ticket from OKC-LAS int he next week or so, I'll let you know.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Aedwards27 wrote: I'm going to backpack it, I haven't done a backpacking excursion since Fall of 2015, so this seems like a good time. I'll haul my stuff up there and have more time to explore.
Ah very nice then!

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Aedwards27 wrote:Yep! The one that starts just off Emigrant road. I'm pretty excited about it, I like experiencing those old trails.

I may be scrapping Virgin Spring for Indian Pass Canyon, we'll see.
There's an old mine site between 1/2 and 1 mile up that road (if you're taking the one I think you are, that goes up past the Saddle Rock Mine?) called the Gold King Mine. I'd love to know if there's anything left, as the last report I saw of it was from 1980 or so. The shaft has been filled in with canyon debris, but there was supposedly some trash and artifacts around.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Indian Pass inquiry

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:03 am

Summer 2016 I drove a jeep from Rhyolite to Echo Canyon east entrance with much of the road bounding over an abandoned rail line. Approaching the Funeral Mountain east foothills the bumpy winding road may have skirted Indian Pass access. Seems like I saw a "Indian Pass" sign on the dirt road but I did not take a photo of it so I am not that certain I actually saw a sign or my imagination is running wild again?

Anyway, just wondering if there is a good access route to Indian Pass from the east?

BTW - Steve Hall's trip reports of Indian Pass are excellent.
Life begins in Death Valley

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: Indian Pass inquiry

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:Summer 2016 I drove a jeep from Rhyolite to Echo Canyon east entrance with much of the road bounding over an abandoned rail line. Approaching the Funeral Mountain east foothills the bumpy winding road may have skirted Indian Pass access. Seems like I saw a "Indian Pass" sign on the dirt road but I did not take a photo of it so I am not that certain I actually saw a sign or my imagination is running wild again?

Anyway, just wondering if there is a good access route to Indian Pass from the east?

BTW - Steve Hall's trip reports of Indian Pass are excellent.
If my understanding is correct, the road is questionable. I've never so much as seen a picture of it, but due to low visitation it's probably surprisingly smooth. I find many seldom driven roads are smother than heavily used ones. The road does drop you at an old mine site (the name escapes me now) with an amazing view. It is high above the canyon, but it may be easy to hike to the pass there.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, Gower. I'm going to take a look at some old maps and see if the mine you referenced will be on my path. If so, I'll check it out.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Last time I drove out to the Indian Pass area from Hwy 95 was Dec. 2015.

At that time, the road was not in bad shape at all. You could probably make it to the end without 4WD but it would be preferable to have it. You would definitely want high clearance, as there are sections of road with a high center that your vehicle will be straddling.

Once you get to the end of the road and park, you can hike down a trail to a some old mine works. Last time I went this trail was marked with white paint blotches.

If you want to get down into the canyon, here's the best way I found: Go down the mine trail a ways, to a switchback where another trail leaves and heads down the ridge. (At this point you will be looking directly down into Indian Canyon, at a fork in the canyon.) I thought it was easy to mistakenly follow this trail and leave the mine trail even if you didn't plan to! This ridge runs down to the "V" in the fork of Indian Canyon.

Going that way, it is relatively easy to reach the wash in the bottom of the canyon. On the other hand, if you go to the mines then down the slope, it is much harder going, both on the slope and in the boulder-filled canyon below. Speaking from experience here. ;-)

In Digonnet's DV book he describes a number of springs and other attractions in Indian Canyon. If you approach it from the east (drive to the end of the road and hike down as I described), you can visit all of those in a day hike from your vehicle. You can camp at the end of the road, or any number of places along it. Remember that is a little higher elevation over there so pretty chilly at night this time of year.