End of the Year DV 2016

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

End of the Year DV 2016

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 pm

2016 was quite a year – I don't think anybody will argue against that – but here we are, nearing its end. As I now live in Portland, it is now impossible to visit during our historical time of Thanksgiving week for the foreseeable future, forcing our trip to December. Now that it is December, I will share my upcoming trip. As usual, we will stay at our traditional camp along Lemoigne Road in great comfort, well in sight of all visitors yet totally cut off from them. Anyway, here goes:

We arrive at the end of the day on Christmas, no doubt traffic will be light, but the day short, requiring setup in the dark, which is not unusual, but still obnoxious.

The next day will be a long one; an impressive mine in the Inyo Mountains whose name I shall refrain from giving for now will be the highlight of the day. Then the long way back to Panamint, via the Darwin-PSR road past China Garden Spring, stopping at a rock art site on the way back.

On the 27th will be a fossil locality in another part of the park entirely, I won't say for now until after we've been there, and maybe something else if we finish that early, I have some things in mind but don't want to get any hopes up, including my own, about visiting them.

The Final Full Day is the 28th, and will be, I think, the crown jewel of the trip. After 8 years of camping on Lemoigne Road, the family have finally decided that it is time to hike to his mine. Lemoigne Mine and the South Fork of Lemoigne Canyon has been on my radar since we first stayed there in 2008, but year after year it has escaped the interest or motivation of the others, but this is the year for it, and if all else fails, there is no shortage of backup plans available.

Perhaps on our way out of the park on December 29th, I will hike from the top of the alluvial fan at the mouth of Lemoigne Canyon along the trail to Emigrant Camp and reconvene with the party at Emigrant. Long has it been that I've fantasized about taking the miner and indian trail along the foot of these grand mountains, looking over the expanse of gravel, rock, and creosote below me, and perhaps the time will find me, and away I shall go.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:51 pm

OK Gower, here is my hint about Lemoign :)

First, definitely a good hike. The narrows are nice. Keep in the main canyon when you get near the old Lemoign cabin site - we were lured into a side canyon on the left with some ruins but that's not the one.

There is a big modern building right behind Lemoign's original cabin, but you can still get nice pix of that. If you continue up the canyon a bit you go up and terminate at a fun mine to explore. One of our party went in first, alone, then the rest came in a few minutes later. The first one was surprised a bit later to see lights coming toward him - his route had made a loop.

On your way down, as you approach the narrows, keep an eye out for an obvious path on the right which goes up only a little bit as it parallels the main wash. It goes up to a little divide, and then the trail continues down the other side. You'll see some funny rocks with lots of holes in the walls. You'll also find some old inscriptions, at least one of which I bet is original. This path comes out right to the place you parked at the blocked road end. I am pretty sure this was the old miners' trail as it is a bit shorter, avoiding some of the winds in the main canyon.

Have a fun trip and do post a TR!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Wow, I can't wait for your trip report

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:08 pm

BTW - My National Geographic map of the park marks the grave site of Jean
Lemoigne south of the Salt Creek Road on the west side of Highway 190.

I've always been too busy or distracted to stop and search around for the gravesite. Does anyone know if the grave is marked?
Life begins in Death Valley

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:54 pm

It is marked. The marker was gone for a while, but was replaced some years back.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:55 am

Yes, a friend who prefers to remain nameless did that.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:42 pm

I spent quite a bit of time in the Emigrant trail area back in October. You'll have a fun time! Keep your eyes open for surprises.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:57 pm

There's a couple of trails. One heads north from Emigrant CG. The other heads north from a bit further west on 190. I've taken the first. The second has been on my list to do in-and-out from the pavement on some cool day.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:56 am

Returned on Dec. 29th, working on compiling an overdue TR. Look out for it on the TR Forum!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Thanks for checking in as I've been looking

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 pm

for your TR every day. I love your trip reports!
Life begins in Death Valley