Early April Trip

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
jwinner
Jayhawker

Early April Trip

Post by jwinner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 am

I've used this site for some good info in the past so thought I would post my trip plan in case anyone was going to be in the area. My wife and I are driving from Indiana and planning to spend April 3-12 in DVNP. I have a Chevy Colorado 4x4 with LT tires, full size spare, compressor, tools, etc so I think I'll be ok with the roads.

Plan to get to DVNP the evening of the 2nd. We're planning to hike a canyon a little south of Ashford canyon on the 3rd, then drive to and camp in Trail canyon the 3rd and 4th. Hike up the south fork and explore the day of the 4th. Then planning to drive to and camp at Wildrose CG the 5th and 6th. Not sure an exact plan those days but planning to explore some of the mining ruins around Skidoo, Eureka, Wood Canyon, and/or A Canyon and just see how much time we have. Then drive over to Minietta cabin for the nights of the 7th and 8th, Hike up Thompson canyon to mine ruins on the 8th. If Minietta is occupied not sure where to camp, maybe just the end of the road in Thompson canyon.

The 9th planning to drive to Lee Flat, explore and camp at the cabin there. The 10th drive over Hunter Mtn. maybe exploring some of the side roads and ruins, then camp at Ulida flat, maybe near the Ubehebe talc mine. The 11th explore lost burro, Ubehebe lead mine, and camp at Homestake. The 12th just planned to hike around the racetrack, some of the other mines, etc camp at the same spot. Then the 13th we start heading home.

Kinda of a whirlwind tour but if I'm driving that far I want to see as much as I can. I'll cross my fingers and hope nothing gets washed out between now and then. We were out there last year, visited Mojave national preserve, then drove to DVNP and explored goler wash, over mengel pass to butte valley, then warm springs before driving home. Feel free to let me know if anyone wants to say hello while we're out there or hike somewhere, whatever. I'll also have a radio monitoring 146.52 while we're there too, call is KC9CFM. Here's hoping for good weather!

Jamie

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:54 am

Sounds pretty action-packed, but still reasonable to me. I haven't been to all the places you've mentioned but your timeframe doesn't seem outlandish and should give you just enough breathing room between driving days to not spend half the trip behind the wheel. You also kept areas of exploration pretty well group together. Nice job -- should be a blast.

I've got tentative plans to be exploring the western side of the Cottonwoods the week before so fingers crossed for good weather for both of us!

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 am

Think about topping off with fuel here and there.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:23 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:Think about topping off with fuel here and there.
Fuel & ice shouldn't be much of an issue as outlined, no?

Drive into the southern end of park fueled up, Ashford and West Side / Trail Canyon easily explorable on a full tank. Gas up in Stovepipe Wells on the way to Wildrose then Thompson Canyon. More gas & ice in Panamint Springs on the way to Lee Flat, over Hunter Mountain, to Racetrack, and then out of the park. That last part would probably consume the most gas, especially with Stovepipe Wells being the closest to Ubehebe Crater for gas. Good news is that whole area is heavily trafficked is something goes sideways.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

That's the way I would play it.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm

There's on OK spot to camp at the end of Thompson, an old ruined cabin there (no roof if I recall, not really a place to sleep, just a place to camp). Also there's a couple of flat areas where I've seen people camp in the last couple of miles on the way in to the Minietta cabin. You want to get to the old site, sorry I forget it's name atm, up on top above the mine, there's a nice old big building, walls no roof, and lots of interesting debris, with great views up there. A very nice hike is to start near the big mine and follow miner trails, including one all nicely built of stone that goes up to the town site. Very pretty.

jwinner
Jayhawker

Post by jwinner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Yeah, fuel and maybe lunch in Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs :) I saw Wildrose is supposed to have water too. I can normally go 350 miles on a tank, so even in 4wd, I should be good on fuel if I top off along the route.

Thanks for the camping info. I did read about the site on the hilltop and the mine up there, so much to do, so little time. Maybe if we have time after the other hike that day!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Now that my brain starts to work again, I recall that the site is Lookout City, aptly named!

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am

I would plan for nothing going to plan.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Sparky, if never does