NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Keane Wonder Mine

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Keane Wonder Mine

Post by bluegreen kayak » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 am

Hello all - woke up this morning in Nebraska to another inch of snow. Cheered myself up with the fact that I'm planning to go back to DV next weekend (24-27). I'm staying at the Oasis ranch, since the campgrounds seem out of the picture, but I was wondering about the parking lots at Keane Wonder Mine and Sidewinder Canyon. Are they still open? I would like to show my son from Ridgecrest both these places, plus a few others like Foundry and Room canyons.
BTW, thanks to all of you, especially the frequent posters and folks with pictures and videos, for the bright spots in my day. I'm always glad when there's something new to read about my favorite place.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Re: Keane Wonder Mine

Post by JesPortland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 am

Hi!

Here is from the parks recent Facebook page. Looks like things could be a lot better when you visit. It will be a radial reopening and actual dates haven't been set over the next couple of weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNPS

"DEATH VALLEY, CA – Death Valley National Park announced today that some recently closed areas of the park will once again be accessible to visitors in the coming days. Some visitor services, including campgrounds and the Stovepipe Wells Contact Station, will also reopen using revenue generated by recreation fees. Visitors should go to the park website at nps.gov/deva while planning their trip to get the latest information on accessibility and available services."

Waiting to see what campgrounds.

"Areas that have been recently closed but that are or will be accessible to park visitors include:

• Dantes View, Artists Drive, Natural Bridge, Harmony Borax Works and Mustard Canyon, Salt Creek, Keane Wonder Mine, Mesquite Sand Dunes, and Historic Stovepipe Wells Roads."

Well good news here!

"Because of the distances and complexities involved and unknown nature of all issues, the opening of these sites may take a week or longer. Scotty’s Castle remains closed due to flood damage. Mosaic Canyon Road remains closed in association with water utility work for Stovepipe Wells Village. Upper and Lower Wildrose Roads are closed due to snow and ice."

"National Park Service officials have determined that by using Federal Land and Recreation Enhancement funds to immediately bring back park maintenance crews to clean restrooms, remove trash, and remove health and safety risks park staff will be able to restore accessibility to the park."

"Through generous donations from the Death Valley Natural History Association, the Furnace Creek Visitor Center will remain open. Entrance fees and camping fees will not be collected and ranger programs will not be offered."

“We greatly appreciate the generous contributions of park partners who have provided support during the lapse in appropriations,” said park superintendent Reynolds. “Their efforts have contributed significantly to our ability to maintain access and limited services to Death Valley National Park.”

Donations do make a difference!

For updates on the shutdown, please visit www.doi.gov/shutdown.

www.nps.gov/deva

"Death Valley National Park is the homeland of the Timbisha Shoshone and preserves natural and cultural resources, exceptional wilderness, scenery, and learning experiences within the nation’s largest conserved desert landscape and some of the most extreme climate and topographic conditions on the planet. About two-thirds of the park was originally designated as Death Valley National Monument in 1933. Today the park is enjoyed by about 1,300,000 people per year. The park is 3,400,000 acres – nearly as large as the state of Connecticut. Learn more at www.nps.gov/deva."

About that 1.3 million visitors. Let's get rid of the dumb name for the park! One person per year dies from heat cause! Compare to Zion or Yosemite deaths per visitor from drowning or falling!

New name: "The Majestic Valley"!

NPS Video: 2 hour time lapse of restroom being cleaned by rangers for opening.

Westside Road is closed due to flooding. Rain on the valley floor could make for some possible flowers this spring.

Sidewinder was never closed as far as I know. Pretty neat slots there!

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am

Thank you - I don't use Facebook and don't have an account there, so this was very helpful to me. Now my son has texted saying they've had three days of rain in Ridgecrest. I'm wondering if Lake Manly is back at Badwater. Should I bring the inflatable kayak just in case?

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am

You don't have to be a FB member to view this page. They just make it hard to though...controlling FB.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:39 pm

bluegreen kayak wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am
Thank you - I don't use Facebook and don't have an account there, so this was very helpful to me. Now my son has texted saying they've had three days of rain in Ridgecrest. I'm wondering if Lake Manly is back at Badwater. Should I bring the inflatable kayak just in case?
Today's satellite photo shows Badwater looking generally dry...it's about 2/3 of the way to the right and near the top:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... ution=250m

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am

While some may joke about changing the name of the park it happened with "The Oasis" which will always be Furnace Creek for me. Wasn't the lodge name in Yosemite changed as well? History needs to preserved for a reason. Our society today is so quick to attempt to erase history because it is scary and/or offensive to one specific part of society. The history remains and I don't agree with the Orwellian attempts to rewrite the records.

I visited Keane last spring after it being closed for so long. It was great. Glad I got there before some jackassery may have happened.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm

ETAV8R wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am
While some may joke about changing the name of the park it happened with "The Oasis" which will always be Furnace Creek for me. Wasn't the lodge name in Yosemite changed as well? History needs to preserved for a reason. Our society today is so quick to attempt to erase history because it is scary and/or offensive to one specific part of society. The history remains and I don't agree with the Orwellian attempts to rewrite the records.

I visited Keane last spring after it being closed for so long. It was great. Glad I got there before some jackassery may have happened.
Dude, the names at Yosemite were changed due to copyright lawsuits, not because of Orwellian attempts to rewrite our history. As far as Xanterra (The Oasis) is concerned, they are a large enough company that they can do whatever they want with little to no oversight. Complain to them about their rebranding efforts that have hardly even touched a public official's desk.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am

The naming problems at Yosemite started when the park service switched concessionaires from the Delaware North Corporation to Aramark. DNC claims that they paid for the trademark names like Ahwahnee, Wawona, etc. and therefore own them. The case is in court. The next hearing is scheduled for July. The Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch are private in-holdings within the national park. Xanterra can call their properties whatever they want.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Arrived and checked in at the ranch (whatever you call it). The parking lot looks emptier than usual; maybe that's why the desk clerk offered to extend my stay at $99 a night. I'm considering it. Another person at the pool said they took the offer, but that it's only if you already have a reserved stay.
Looking forward to exploring Keane tomorrow, trying to find the natural bridge.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:43 am

I've never stayed at any of the places in Death Valley, or even any of the campgrounds, but dang if there haven't been a few times where I'd have gladly forked over $99 (+fees, taxes, etc.) for a shower and a pool. Also like the sound of emptier than usual ... enjoy!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 am

A few times in the past, we have gone to the registration desk at the Ranch and bought a pool pass for $10. There are showers at the pool. I don't know if they still do this after the renovations.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am

TrailHound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 am
A few times in the past, we have gone to the registration desk at the Ranch and bought a pool pass for $10. There are showers at the pool. I don't know if they still do this after the renovations.
Whaaaaaa ..... that could be a huge game changer for me. I usually bail after a week because I've been sleeping in the back of my truck and need a shower (or an alpine lake to jump into) more than anything else. :shock:

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:21 am

Pool pass is $5. If you buy it in the later afternoon one day it generally can be used until 1 pm the next day.

Also you can get another person in with the pass...no one is checking the pool gate..

And I have other secrets...

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 am

TacoLand wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am
TrailHound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 am
Whaaaaaa ..... that could be a huge game changer for me. I usually bail after a week because I've been sleeping in the back of my truck and need a shower (or an alpine lake to jump into) more than anything else. :shock:
You don't have your own shower system? I always travel with a solar shower bag and in the summer months (Owens Valley/Inyos/Whites) I made one of those black plumbing pipe showers that goes on my rig. I've never used the Furnace Creek pool/shower but have known about it. I have used the showers at PSR while camping there.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 pm

I think the SPW hotel also sells pool/shower passes, and is generally less crowded than Furnace Creek/the Oasis, but as I've never used either I could be mistaken.
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php