Feb 27-March 1

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
DavidW
Jayhawker

Feb 27-March 1

Post by DavidW » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Taking our bi-annual trip to Death Valley Feb7-March1. On the way out from Orange County, we are gonna stop at the Trona Pinnacles and then head up and make a stop at the wildrose charcoal kilns. From there we will head into Beatty to our hotel.
The first full day we are looking at driving up Jail Canyon and checking out that area. If there's time left, a stop in Ballarat may be in order.
The second day looks like a hike up Ashford Canyon to the camp and mines. Also check out whatever else is in the area.
The last day will be Willow Canyon next to sidewinder canyon.
Anyone who has any suggestions or advice for any of these spots, all ears and always interested in learning more! Thanks for reading.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Feb 27-March 1

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:05 pm

I went to the Ashford camp last year, after having previously visited 25 years earlier. I was pleased to find it still in good shape. Digonett describes a number of short spurs from the camp to other mines and viewpoints in the immediate area, but we were on the way back from trying to climb Ashford Pk so did not have time for them. You can go down the wash immediately below the camp and from there reconnect with the main canyon It is shorter and gives some variety for the return trip, no scrambles or bypasses required. There is an obvious trail from the camp down into the wash; it goes past a bunch of semi-interesting junk.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:05 pm
I went to the Ashford camp last year, after having previously visited 25 years earlier. I was pleased to find it still in good shape. Digonett describes a number of short spurs from the camp to other mines and viewpoints in the immediate area, but we were on the way back from trying to climb Ashford Pk so did not have time for them. You can go down the wash immediately below the camp and from there reconnect with the main canyon It is shorter and gives some variety for the return trip, no scrambles or bypasses required. There is an obvious trail from the camp down into the wash; it goes past a bunch of semi-interesting junk.
Very cool, we may take the wash below camp for our return trip.....noting wrong with seeing some new stuff on the way out! Thanks.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 am

My wife points out that her memory was that there were a few places I was rather slow on that exit wash, with some drops right near the end (as you go down) toward the confluence. Now I have knee issues so I can't bend them as far as some people and that certainly slowed me. I have no idea of your ability of course. I am fairly confident in saying "no major obstacles" coming down but if you consider yourselves to be timid hikers then perhaps it would be better to go up at the confluence, either all the way to the camp or just a few hundred yards to make sure you feel comfortable.

My level of experience is that I am a wild and crazy hiker who avoids exposure (places where if you might fall and if you fell you would likely get at least seriously injured) but otherwise goes anywhere, albeit increasingly slowly with age. The day we went to the Ashford camp we had managed to drive to the end of the road, but it was still a late start coming in from SPW. We climbed to the saddle between Ashford and Desert Hound peaks but decided we wanted to explore the camp and didn't have time for a peak and that side tour.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 am
My wife points out that her memory was that there were a few places I was rather slow on that exit wash, with some drops right near the end (as you go down) toward the confluence. Now I have knee issues so I can't bend them as far as some people and that certainly slowed me. I have no idea of your ability of course. I am fairly confident in saying "no major obstacles" coming down but if you consider yourselves to be timid hikers then perhaps it would be better to go up at the confluence, either all the way to the camp or just a few hundred yards to make sure you feel comfortable.

My level of experience is that I am a wild and crazy hiker who avoids exposure (places where if you might fall and if you fell you would likely get at least seriously injured) but otherwise goes anywhere, albeit increasingly slowly with age. The day we went to the Ashford camp we had managed to drive to the end of the road, but it was still a late start coming in from SPW. We climbed to the saddle between Ashford and Desert Hound peaks but decided we wanted to explore the camp and didn't have time for a peak and that side tour.
Most of our group is able to conquer some obstacles, with only a few that are older and may not be able to/want to attempt them. They may even stop hiking before we get to the camp. For some of us though, I think it will add new scenery to the hike.