China Garden Spring (and Zinc Hill) - anyone been there?

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

China Garden Spring (and Zinc Hill) - anyone been there?

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Actually asking mostly about the spring. I've been to Darwin Falls (the lower end) a number of times. I'm thinking about taking friends up Zinc Hill in a few weeks, provided we have a good vehicle between us. I've seen SnowNymph's pix and Zdon's route is clear to me on the topo. As a reward for the climb I want to take them either to the falls or China Garden Spring. I've seen pix of the pool and stream flowing out from it at the spring. I'm wondering how far down the gorge you can go, and if you get a good sense of the falls from above?

Of course if my crew is disappointed I'll just have to take them to the lower falls as well, if there's enough light, else on our next trip into PV.

Anyone walked around at China Garden Spring?

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

I don't know of anybody who has ever been there before. My guess is that David Bricker might have been, as this is near his stomping grounds. If you don't hear from anybody, put the word out on DV Talk and hopefully somebody will respond.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 pm

I've been to China Gardens, but not walked down the stream any. My understanding (third hand) is that the upper part of Darwin wash/canyon is pretty heavily choked with brush, but can't say that for sure.

I have gone up Darwin Wash to the top of the third falls. There are at least five falls, and my son has gone up that far. The falls after the lower falls, especially the third, are pretty impressive. The access is not overly obvious, but offline, I can give you some tips. There has been discussion in the past as to whether the powers that be want people in the canyon; I don't know the accuracy of that info, nor do I want to speculate.

David Bricker / SYR

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 pm

I have gone to the top of the first falls starting from China Garden, it is a pleasant hike. It can be heavily brushed over, but sometimes the burro trails make it an easy walk.

I recommend it.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks, gbguide!