Site Direction

Information, announcements and questions, comments or feedback about this site
Kelly
Grubstaker

Site Direction

Post by Kelly » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:11 am

I was wondering.
On DV US, sometimes the discussion would go rather political or become heated on a topic that was very loosely connected to Death Valley. Sometimes it would go off on an environmental rant.
I found the energy of these types of discussions to be quite entertaining and educational. I did not like when the responses would become personal attacks.
Is it the wish of the site administrators to avoid this type of thread, or just the personal attacks?
Kelly

deathvalleydan
Grubstaker

Post by deathvalleydan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:48 am

I can only think of three members who routinely exchanged personal attacks, and two of which aren't registered. Politics, especially enviornmental politics IS a heated issue. I hope these heated topics are allowed to be posted and moderated in a way similar to how Bighorn moderated.
Real freedom lies in wilderness, not civilization.
-Lindberg

Education is key to preservation. Knowledge is power.

B-spec
Death Valley Resident

Post by B-spec » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:34 am

Well go for it.. There is an environmental section for that stuff.. I'm pretty easy when it comes to debate topics. I also enjoy reading them.

Just no personal attacks. :D

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:56 am

B-spec wrote:Just no personal attacks.
Reminds me of the tagline...

"Its only funny until someone gets hurt. Then its friggin hilarious."

Who had that one?

We need them back.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm

I am SOOO glad that these type of topics don't show up here. I love the peace and tranquility of this forum.

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:56 am

SteveHall wrote:I am SOOO glad that these type of topics don't show up here. I love the peace and tranquility of this forum.
:thumb:

I probably put it in the wrong place, and probably months after the fact, but my thanks and appreciation go to the 'new' host, Panamint Hosting for putting up with what it is.

http://panaminthosting.com/

Steve -- What do the asterisks mean next to your trip reports on your site?

-

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:22 am

omg that is so funny. Whoever came up with that was brilliant.

The asterisks (or stars) next to destinations are "Steve's Death Valley favorites". Near the very top of the main page it says that. Basically, just the sites in the park that I love the most.

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:43 am

SteveHall wrote:omg that is so funny. Whoever came up with that was brilliant.

The asterisks (or stars) next to destinations are "Steve's Death Valley favorites". Near the very top of the main page it says that. Basically, just the sites in the park that I love the most.
Thanks- I see it now. I kept looking toward the bottom for some reason. Getting old I guess.

-

Albin
Breyfogler

Post by Albin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 pm

I vehemently disagree with the "no personal attacks" policy.

For example, for those two piss-ant piece of shit assholes who burnt down the Barker Ranch, I think we should castrate them, pull their finger nails out one by one, dip them in molten sulfuric acid, gut shoot them, hang them and then drag them behind a truck for 10 miles at five miles per hour.

After that, I think we should do something really really mean to them.

Oh, if you're talking about personal attacks on the forum, I agree.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Site Direction

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Kelly wrote:On DV US, ...
I'm maybe way off base here, but are you talking about the predicessor to this site, Death-Valley.us?

This site was created to basically carry on when D-V.us had to leave cyberspace, this site created by one of D-V.us' members. That's why some of us have such high post counts, even though you might not have seen us much on this board. An example is myself, you'll notice that I have well over 3,000 posts, yet I only check this board occasionally and even more rarely post.

I don't recall anyone really getting out of hand on the old D-V.us board, which was online for several years early this decade; it went offline sometime late 2005 or early 2006. If they did, they were usually asked to tone it down via PM by one of the moderators. Personal views were allowed to be expressed, but if one kept on to the point of being obnoxious, or attacked another board member, then they were contacted. It was a very civil board, as is this one.

Death Valley Talk, now that one used to be really "wild west." It's toned down somewhat since now you have to register. I don't know how well moderated it is, but it can still get pretty out there.

I was once attacked by someone years ago in the early days of DV Talk. He disagreed with what I quoted from a book on Death Valley roads about how far you are supposed to be from some of the main roads before you can set up a wilderness camp. I had simply quoted from the book. He came back with pure slander. I firmly took a stand, he attacked my mother, my grandmother and anyone else he could think of to attack, with libelous, slanderous, foul language. He was censored not by moderators, but he brought out just about all the long standing members of that board who were also insulted by his behavoir and he was overpowered verbally and he stopped. Haven't seen him online in years, unless he posts under some other name.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Re: Site Direction

Post by David_Bricker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 pm

D.A. Wright wrote: Death Valley Talk, now that one used to be really "wild west." It's toned down somewhat since now you have to register. I don't know how well moderated it is, but it can still get pretty out there.
DVTalk is certainly more "open" than here or that other great board. But it is moderated. Every single post is read by at least two people. It's just that the moderators try as much as possible to be hands off. However, outright personal attacks will not be permitted.

David Bricker / SYR

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

ahamacav wrote:I probably put it in the wrong place, and probably months after the fact, but my thanks and appreciation go to the 'new' host, Panamint Hosting for putting up with what it is.

Yes, a big thanks to PanamintHosting.com for hosting DV.net!

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Dezdan wrote:
ahamacav wrote:I probably put it in the wrong place, and probably months after the fact, but my thanks and appreciation go to the 'new' host, Panamint Hosting for putting up with what it is.

Yes, a big thanks to PanamintHosting.com for hosting DV.net!
Posting about PanamintHosting.com is Spam Spam Spam. PanamintHosting.com is what PanamintHosting.com is all about. No, what I said is PanamintHosting.com is spam if only you don't post PanamintHosting.com

I would like to put food and beverages in you in a romantic and PanamintHosting.com fashion. :cool: