Stovepipe under new management

Death Valley related discussion
TrailHound
Grubstaker

Stovepipe under new management

Post by TrailHound » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:10 pm

While making a reservation for March, I discovered that SPW is under new management. Apparently, Xanterra did not bid on a new contract. This story was on the internet:

Death Valley Lodging: New Death Valley National Park Concessioners Head Back to the Future to Honor their Family Legacy

Jan 05, 2011 11:02 CET

Death Valley National Park, CA – Ortega Family Enterprises, a small, fast growing independent company specializing in green-friendly revamping of legendary National Park Concessions, rings in the coming year by gently overhauling the beautiful historic concession of Stovepipe Wells Village in Death Valley, CA., as Death Valley Lodging Company. The original Death Valley hotel, Stovepipe Wells Village, located in the heart of Death Valley, will open under the new concessioners on January 13th,2011. Building on several generations of western traditions, Ortega Family Enterprises brings a stellar performance record of historic protection, environmental awards and recognition, knowledge and expertise in the traditions of Native American art, but most of all, a true respect for the history and preservation of our National Parks. Says Company Executive Tanya Ortega: “We have a genuine appreciation of the incredible beauty that is on display here in Death Valley National Park. We think that Death Valley National Park is one of the great places on the planet!”

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:23 pm

This has to be a good thing. Perhaps the new management will bring the property into the 21st century, and hopefully the lack of a monopoly in the valley will result in lower rates, and better service.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Will be interesting. Their web site suggests they are upgrading the rooms and maybe extending the internet access into the rooms. As for prices, would be good to see those high prices come down but not holding my breath. PSR is not that far away, nor is Beatty, yet they keep the prices up and sell out on big weekends every year.

There are a number of regulars among the staff and between them have quite a bit of experience with the place. Hopefully they transition over to the new management. Maybe the place will get a bit of the flavor it had back when it was Fred Harvey.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:46 am

Personally, I just hope the gas prices remain as relatively reasonable as they've been! In my experience, they're not noticeably higher than in California urban areas. And definitely lower than the other two gas stations in the Park! Makes you wonder why the others are so expensive?

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 am

Candace_66 wrote:Personally, I just hope the gas prices remain as relatively reasonable as they've been! In my experience, they're not noticeably higher than in California urban areas. And definitely lower than the other two gas stations in the Park! Makes you wonder why the others are so expensive?
I don't know about the FC Chevron, but I do know that PSR has to pay very high delivery rates. I think they are a long spur route and not on any main delivery route. When Jerry Graham owned PSR he claimed that the retail price in Ridgecrest was less that the wholesale price he had to pay.

Art

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Candace_66 wrote:Personally, I just hope the gas prices remain as relatively reasonable as they've been! In my experience, they're not noticeably higher than in California urban areas. And definitely lower than the other two gas stations in the Park! Makes you wonder why the others are so expensive?
SPW is a franchise, on Park Service land. Furnace is a private inholding so they are less regulated. I suspect PSR is the same.

That's what I've been told, anyway, for the reason gas is cheaper at SPW

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Stayed at SPW last week. New bedspread/blanket was nice, in room coffee maker with refills of coffee packets nice too, morning coffee in the office no longer has real diary creamers.

The most noticeable diff is that they are in the process of putting WiFi throughout the facility. I could access it from my room - well at least if I sat outside my room. That's the good side. The bad side is that connectivity is really a tease. Half the time I could not even get linked to an AP, of the successes half the time I could not get authenticated through their access control system, and when I could connect I could not get any bandwidth most of the time. If I checked at 5AM I could pick up weather forecasts on the majority of days.

Hopefully this will improve. I wasted way too much time trying to get on the network to track the storm system which came through while we were there. Didn't even try to read my email.
Last edited by MojaveGeek on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:04 am

^ Late last year, I parked outside the motel there and tried to mooch the wi-fi. (Hoping to check wx conditions, as a storm was on the way.) My results were a lot like yours! Took forever to access a couple forecasts on weather.gov.

(Note: I'm not complaining, I realize I was swiping the bandwith so I had to take what I got!)

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 am

Candace_66 wrote:Personally, I just hope the gas prices remain as relatively reasonable as they've been! ... And definitely lower than the other two gas stations in the Park! Makes you wonder why the others are so expensive?
It's all about volume. Stovepipe sells only one kind of gas and can thus buy it by the truckload. It costs a fixed (big) amount to get a truck out there regardless of how much gas it's carrying, thus PSR and Furnace Creek, which buy three kinds of gas but not a full truckload of any of it, have to pay three times the truckage rate of Stovepipe.

Will be interesting to see what prices do, as well as what the food will end up like in the (now reopened) restaurant. Unfortunately not a lot can be done about the parking-lot-like campground. The main problem is water. Stovepipe has never really had enough water. They started out by getting it from the springs up Emigrant Wash, but those springs didn't provide enough water, as you can easily see by going to those springs yourself and seeing the trickle of water that comes out of them. Now they get their water via pumping salty groundwater through a very large reverse osmosis system. But the reality is that even though they've upgraded the system significantly over the years, it still doesn't provide enough water for irrigating shade trees -- and the salt water they pump out of the ground and backflush out of the reverse osmosis system would kill pretty much anything they tried to irrigate with it.

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:06 am

badtux wrote:
Candace_66 wrote:Personally, I just hope the gas prices remain as relatively reasonable as they've been! ... And definitely lower than the other two gas stations in the Park! Makes you wonder why the others are so expensive?
It's all about volume. Stovepipe sells only one kind of gas and can thus buy it by the truckload. It costs a fixed (big) amount to get a truck out there regardless of how much gas it's carrying, thus PSR and Furnace Creek, which buy three kinds of gas but not a full truckload of any of it, have to pay three times the truckage rate of Stovepipe.

Will be interesting to see what prices do, as well as what the food will end up like in the (now reopened) restaurant. Unfortunately not a lot can be done about the parking-lot-like campground. The main problem is water. Stovepipe has never really had enough water. They started out by getting it from the springs up Emigrant Wash, but those springs didn't provide enough water, as you can easily see by going to those springs yourself and seeing the trickle of water that comes out of them. Now they get their water via pumping salty groundwater through a very large reverse osmosis system. But the reality is that even though they've upgraded the system significantly over the years, it still doesn't provide enough water for irrigating shade trees -- and the salt water they pump out of the ground and backflush out of the reverse osmosis system would kill pretty much anything they tried to irrigate with it.

I'm pretty sure that there are really just 2 kinds of gas, the highest octane and the lowest. The middle grade is usually blended at the station from the other grades. However, you point remains valid.

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 am

netllama wrote: I'm pretty sure that there are really just 2 kinds of gas, the highest octane and the lowest. The middle grade is usually blended at the station from the other grades. However, you point remains valid.
Netllama is correct, there are two types of gasoline. Premium, and regular. The midgrade is mixed from the two. However, PSR actually receives four types of fuel, as they also get diesel. The are two types of diesel - highway that is sold to the public, with the appropriate taxes included, and internal that is used to supply the generators. While the two fuels are the same, they are dyed different colors to reflect whether the road taxes are paid.

PSR is also many miles further out than others for their fuel deliveries, and pay additional charges accordingly.

David Bricker / SYR

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Once upon a time, I ran a Chevron. We received our mid-grade in it's own delivery and it went in it's own tank. Maybe things have changed.

We made about 4-6 cents a gallon on self and near 50-55 cents on full service. The c-store and my garage was where most of the money was made.

birkoff
Jayhawker

Post by birkoff » Sat May 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I left my favorite pillow at SPW last year, called them the next day, they found it, ups-ed to me. That's good management.