FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register 
 Profile  |  Messages  |  Log in 
Coyote Canyon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackturtle
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am 
Post subject: Coyote Canyon

There doesn't seem to be a thread on Coyote Canyon and so I'll start one. (Maybe I missed it, but it didn't come up in a simple search.) Anyways, for anyone who doesn't know where Coyote Canyon is located, it's at the southern end of the Panamint Range, more or less between Goler Wash and Manly Peak. Digonnet writes about it in "Hiking Western Death Valley National Park." From Digonnet's write up it sounds like the cabin and outhouse at the mine camp located a couple miles up from the mouth of the canyon are still in reasonable good shape, but they are currently in horrible shape. Does anyone know if this damage is recent or if Digonnet just elected not to mention it? I had to park my FJ at about a half mile into the canyon due to some rocks that were just a little big to get around. A ramp could have been built in about 30 minutes, but I'd rather spend my time hiking and so that's what we did. Other than this obstacle it would be fairly easy to drive up to the mine camp. We hiked up to about the 4500' level in the canyon and then doubled back to the ridge overlooking the road up to Mengel Pass. Saw only a few flowers on this trip. Some lupine, mojave spurge, brittlebush, apricot mallow, and desert tobacco, and that was it!
TRIP PICS: http://www.blackturtle.us/DV_SITES/MANLY/

Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 pm 
Post subject:

I drove my FJ to the camp last month with no issues as far as the road goes. I didn't go near the outhouse, but the cabin appeared to be in about the same condition as it has for the last few years.
sheepranch
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

Yep nice litte canyon. Me and my wife made it up there on our dirtbikes in 2009 or 10. Kind cool that the cables are still up!! We mulled around that are for a few hours, had my first encounter with a Chuckwall there just below the chutes. Kinda remember that canyon being a bit of a challenge, I think I remember flipping my 400 a couple times on the rock scrambles.
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:49 pm 
Post subject:

Nice report and pictures. Love those shots of the canyon narrows that you got. Reading your report made me go back and read Digonnet's write-ups for Coyote Cyn and Goler Cyn. Looks like some good hiking opportunities around there, even without the right vehicle.
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:14 am 
Post subject:

Yes, thanks for the pix! Coyote / Goler area (loop maybe) have been slowly creeping up on my list too.
blackturtle
Breyfogler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

SteveH: I plan to go back at some point and do a loop through the bottom part of both Coyote and Goler and connecting over the ridge. Looking at the two maps in Digonnet's book it appears that it would be possible to continue up the steep side canyon above the Gold Spur Mine to the ridge. Following the ridge to the west it appears that the end of a road can be reached which then drops into Goler Wash. Using the trail/road that connects the mouths of the two canyons, an interesting, short loop would be created. I'm trying to avoid steep stuff still, but this is a hike I might try at some point just the same.

BTW, we would have scouted south along the road in Panamint Valley to the military gate, but we didn't finish the hike until just after dark.

MojaveGeek: It's an interesting area. BTW, a project of mine got featured at Scratch this last week. The best I can tell, it was the project called "A Snail's Life." I use Scratch to create animations for YouTube videos. Scratch channel link: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/blackturtle
Death Valley Resident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

blackturtle wrote:

MojaveGeek: It's an interesting area. BTW, a project of mine got featured at Scratch this last week. The best I can tell, it was the project called "A Snail's Life." I use Scratch to create animations for YouTube videos. Scratch channel link: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/blackturtle

Cool! (and totally OT Laughing ) I'll get Ben to take a look on his Scratch. He always likes to visit the full sized Scratch Cat made of Lego's at Mitch's area when he visits me at work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death-Valley.net Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: