On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Fossil Valley--Great Basin Desert, Nevada

Environmental topics about Death Valley
Inyo
Jayhawker

Fossil Valley--Great Basin Desert, Nevada

Post by Inyo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 pm

A topic not directly related to Death Valley, one must admit, but it involves paleontology over in neighboring Nevada.

Rather recently I uploaded to
http://inyo2.coffeecup.com/fossilvalley ... alley.html my latest paleontology-related web page, entitled "A Visit To Fossil Valley, Great Basin Desert, Nevada." Includes detailed text; images of fossils; and on-site photographs, as well.

It's a cyber-visit to a world-famous desert district situated in Nevada's Great Basin Desert geomorphic province that contains the most complete, diverse, terrestrial (land-laid) fossil record of Miocene life yet discovered in North America--and perhaps the world, as a matter of fact--a genuinely spectacular paleontological place that produces from the middle Miocene Esmeralda Formation an astounding association of well-preserved fossil material some 16.4 to 10.5 million years old, including: insects (preserved in exquisite detail along the bedding planes of very thinly stratified sedimentary rocks commonly called "paper shales"); plants (leaves, seeds, flowering structures, conifer needles and foliage, diatoms--a microscopic single-celled photosynthesizing aquatic plant that constructed silica "shells"/frustules--pollens, and petrified woods); stromatolitic, cyanobacterial blue-green algal developments; mollusks (gastropods and pelecypods); ostracods (a bilvalve crustacean); mammals; birds; fish; amphibians; turtles; and arachnids (spiders).

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Awesome!!!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com