On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Namibia

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
netllama
Grubstaker

Namibia

Post by netllama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:59 pm

I recently returned from two weeks in Namibia. When I mention this to most people, they are typically confused, as they've either never heard of
Namibia, or have no idea where it is. Namibia is in southern Africa, along the southwest coast, just northwest of South Africa. Of course, when I
explain that part, their next reaction is often "Africa!? isn't that dangerous?". The answer is no, its not, certainly not any more so than
travelling in any other remote part of the world (like Death Valley).

That said, Namibia was absolutely amazing. The scenery is easily comparable to highlights of some of America's most spectacular
southwestern landscapes. It has massive sand dunes, buttes, broad valleys, and canyons. On top of that, they've got ghost towns from over
a century of diamond mining and nearly all the classic African animals that people often think of (lions, cheetahs, rhinos, elephants, etc), which adds
an extra layer of awesome. Then because Namibia is twice the size of California, yet only has about 2 million people, much of the country is
wide open, empty, undeveloped space, so the scenery is rarely spoiled by anything. The road system is excellent, with a mixture of paved & gravel
roads, which are well maintained & frequently graded. I rented a 4x4 Toyota Hilux (basically the rest of the world's version of the Tacoma), and
drove nearly 3000 miles. But enough rambling, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Quiver trees at Fish River Canyon

Bogenfels

Cape Cross pup

Little Vlei

bath time

Solitude

last tree

Sesriem Canyon

Sperrgebiet (restricted zone)

Vingerklip

Vingerklip view

Oryx foragers

Descent into the canyon

Red sand, red road

Fish River overlook

Jackal

Fish River Canyon, the 2nd largest on earth

entering the slot

Hunting for the kill

Kolmanskopp

On the prowl

Ranchland

Dunes at dawn

Garub station

The void

home of the welwitschia

Sperrgebiet view

not rush hour

shy

no limits

bowling in 1909

the Namib reclaims all

jump!

ohai

Deadvlei

elephant x-ing

empty

whatchu lookin at?

sand room

Fish river canyon

The king (Etosha National Park)

me and a lot of salt

For the curious, I've posted over 700 photos from the trip HERE,
and I've written up a detailed day by day trip report (with gpx log) HERE.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Namibia - this is a National Geographic trip

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:14 am

Your images triggered feelings of Monument Valley, Death Valley, Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon. Just spectacular so I can see why you clicked off over three thousand miles exploring. So glad to be human of the surface of this lovely planet. Thanks for sharing!
Life begins in Death Valley

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:29 am

Amazing photos, thanks for sharing the trip with us! You've inspired me to take a look at getting to Namibia at some point in my life. Did you "just" do two weeks in Namibia, or was this an extended trip abroad with other stops?

Any photos of that Hilux?

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks for the great pictures!

netllama
Grubstaker

Post by netllama » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:10 pm

TacoLand wrote:Amazing photos, thanks for sharing the trip with us! You've inspired me to take a look at getting to Namibia at some point in my life. Did you "just" do two weeks in Namibia, or was this an extended trip abroad with other stops?
The trip was 19 days total, but most of those extra 5 days were spent in transit, as its nearly 22 hours of flying (plus layovers between flights) from the west coast of the US to Namibia. I did spend about 5 hours wandering around London (my first layover), and then another 2 days in Johannesburg (South Africa, my 2nd layover) before arriving in Namibia. Then I had another 28 hours in Johannesburg at the tail end before the 2 10 hour flights home. I wish I could have spent much more time abroad, but I had to return to $DAYJOB at some point.

FWIW, the company that I rented the Hilux from would have happily allowed me to drive it into South Africa & Botswana (both of which border Namibia to the east) if I wished. I'm seriously considering planning another trip at some point where I revisit Namibia and add in at least one of those countries. That'll be at least 2-3 years out though, as I already have other travel plans.
TacoLand wrote: Any photos of that Hilux?
Yea, take a look at these:
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... ica/7.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... ica/9.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... ca/10.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... ca/11.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... a/656.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... a/657.html
http://netllama.linux-sxs.org/pix/trips ... a/660.html

There's a few others scattered about the 700+ photos that I took too, if you browse around.

netllama
Grubstaker

Re: Namibia - this is a National Geographic trip

Post by netllama » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:Your images triggered feelings of Monument Valley, Death Valley, Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon. Just spectacular so I can see why you clicked off over three thousand miles exploring. So glad to be human of the surface of this lovely planet. Thanks for sharing!
My thoughts exactly. Nearly everywhere I went, I kept thinking "this could be Nevada, Utah, Arizona, or some other place that I've been in the US before". Except that I didn't have any one else around for miles, other than some random oryxes.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Wonderful stuff. Makes our southwest look tropical.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Wow, really stunning. I'm envious!