On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

More to Saratoga Springs than expected

of Death Valley and vicinity
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

More to Saratoga Springs than expected

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I recently viewed a video about the mining area around Saratoga Springs and due to my only visiting the area briefly once, was amazed and then commented to the videographer, rudedogii

He kindly replied and I thought maybe some of you might be interested in some of his details:

"There are a bunch of mines in the area North of Saratoga Springs. If you go to the USGS website you can download the 1985, 1996 and 2012 topos of the area. And then, in google earth you can see how big an operation the Superior Mine was. Even the 2012 map shows some roads that I'm not sure are actually open for use and, since Dan Kish is leaving DVNP for parts further north, I don't yet know who to contact regarding the legality of travel there. That area is/was part of Feinstein's proposed wilderness in her new desert "conservation" bill. No clue where that is in the process."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EID6m6iNqZk
Life begins in Death Valley

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Look at Wilderness.net for an interactive map showing where all no-access wilderness areas are. If a road is outside the wilderness road and isn't signed closed, then you can drive on it; even in the park.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:22 pm

The diggings at Superior Mine were bigger than I expected, based on what I read beforehand!